Should I Dry Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strumke

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made an all Citra IPA 6 days ago and it smells absolutely awesome. It tastes really good too. I was going to dry hop with another 2oz of Citra and finally make a hop tea for 1oz, but it's got great aroma and taste right now.

Am I going to lose a good deal of that aroma/flavor over the next few weeks while it clears and carbs or should I take what I have and just enjoy it as is?

I say learn from the experience... Leave it alone as it is. After they are carbed and conditioned, reconsider.... OR if you have the capability, take a portion of it and dry hop that... compare the two at 3 weeks, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months (if they last that long).

Making beer is fun but drinking it is what it's all about. If your original recipe called for dry hopping then by all means dry hop! If not, bottle it and see what you think. Next time you can dry hop and see which you like best...

Bob

I have not had the chance to use Citra yet, but I understand it is most dramatic when used as a dryhop addition. Just do it man, do it!

strumke said:
I made an all Citra IPA 6 days ago and it smells absolutely awesome. It tastes really good too. I was going to dry hop with another 2oz of Citra and finally make a hop tea for 1oz, but it's got great aroma and taste right now.

Am I going to lose a good deal of that aroma/flavor over the next few weeks while it clears and carbs or should I take what I have and just enjoy it as is?

I can't think of a decent reason to not dry hop an IPA.

Citra is potent enough to just dry hop. I don't feel that a hop tea is needed. What can it hurt to dry hop? Your beer will smell TOO good?:D

If in doubt:

image-134626764.png

Isn't dryhopping what makes an ipa an ipa? If it isn't dryhopped, is it truly an ipa? It's like the beer version of "if a tree falls in the woods". Are we allowed to ask existential questions here? :D

Isn't dryhopping what makes an ipa an ipa? If it isn't dryhopped, is it truly an ipa? It's like the beer version of "if a tree falls in the woods". Are we allowed to ask existential questions here? :D

I don't believe that is a mandatory component of an IPA historically or contemporary. Though it certainly helps make a better IPA.

strumke said:
So, any potential for it to be...(this is going to get me yelled at)...TOO hoppy (or develop grassy/other off flavors)?

Shouldn't develop the grassy notes unless you leave the DH in there for a while. "They" say 14 days is the max.

Okay...I siphoned off 1 gallon into an (empty) apple juice bottle and threw 2.25oz hops in the remaining 4.25gal. Now I can at least try them both.

Thanks!

I love a happy ending. ;)

Also, as stated above, the answer to the question, "Should I dry hop?" is always a resounding YES!!

Good job. Enjoy. :)

Back