Wort to 1 Gallon Carboy Process- HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
So in order to aerate my wort during my first brew (last week), I poured my gallon of wort into a small strainer, sitting on top of a small funnel, that led to my 1 gallon glass carboy.

There's gotta be a better way to do this. I feel like last time, I got "lucky" and poured everything right in with no spillage, but the setup was extremely clumsy.

Because I don't have a bucket (and I'm not going to be buying any), I can't just dump it in/etc., I need to work with what I've got, but I need there to be a better way. I literally put a small kitchen funnel in my carboy neck, then I balanced a small kitchen strainer (that was the same size as the funnel) on top of the funnel, and poured the wort in, collecting all of the setiment after the boil. I nailed it, but I'm scared to do it again....And I'm brewing tomorrow.

HELP!

If you're just doing 1 gallon batches, you could easily cap the end of the carboy and shake it up, skipping the strainer step. To make it easier you could use a tube to siphon the wort from the kettle into the carboy, for no pouring. Just a couple suggestions.

Stick with the funnel. Fill the carboy half full and put a lid on it. Shake the bejesus, open lid, shake some more. Pitch the yeast and top it off!

I use a sanitized soup laddle and use that to scoop the wort and pour into my small strainer resting on top of the funnel. Takes some time but not too bad. Then I will pitch the yeast and shake the hell out of it.

I do like your idea Medusa about filling it half way, shake it out and then pitch the yeast and then top. Will have to try that.

I've been doing the funnel/strainer in the 1 gallon carboy for about 7 months now...works fine so I don't know what you mean for "better"

You could siphon but if its really just one gallon it should not be hard to transfer it...maybe bigger funnels?

I've been doing the funnel/strainer in the 1 gallon carboy for about 7 months now...works fine so I don't know what you mean for "better"

You could siphon but if its really just one gallon it should not be hard to transfer it...maybe bigger funnels?

It just seems awkward. The funnel sits pretty firmly, but then when I put the strainer on top, it just seems really top heavy...so when I pour the wort, i feel like everything could just topple over, and then i'd be F'd.

I guess I could just have my best gal hold everything while i pour...

Do a BIAB process for your mash. Then your boil is pre-filtered, and you don't have to worry about filtering into the primary. A paint strainer bag from your local Lowe's or Home Depot or a grainbag from your LHBS work great. It's what I do for my 1 gallon batches and it works pretty well.

It just seems awkward. The funnel sits pretty firmly, but then when I put the strainer on top, it just seems really top heavy...so when I pour the wort, i feel like everything could just topple over, and then i'd be F'd.

I guess I could just have my best gal hold everything while i pour...

I dont know what your kitchen looks like but when I put the two funnels in along with the strainer...the strainer handle is exactly the height of the floor of one of my upper cabinets...you are right that it would be very top heavy but for me, its perfect...almost comical...I might take a picture sometime, and an extra hand would be magic and not take up much time

Back