Another grain storage question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan9

Reaction score
When storing bulk grain, do the containers need to be food safe plastic, or can standard buckets be used?

I don't think food safe is a concern.

A lot of people put their bulk grains in (new) plastic or metal garbage cans, but they also keep the grain in the bags that the grains came in. You could probably fit two or three 50 lb sacks in one good sized garbage can. You would want to have a good secure seal to keep insects/vermin out. Metal cans have the advantage of keeping rodents from gnawing into the containers.

Other options include air-tight dry pet food containers (available at pet stores, but kind of pricey), screw-top lid adapters for 5-gallon buckets, foodsaver bags, etc. I believe I saw a post around here where somebody added some adhesive foam weatherstripping to seal up rubbermaid plastic storage containers.

Home Depot is selling their Orange Homer Pales (Food Safe) for $3 and the lids are a few dollars more in the paint department. Someone in another thread said they fit a 50lb sack in one. They are sturdy and fairly stackable.

I wouldn't use them for anything liquid as the pigment may leach out, but they're fine for dry goods.

I just picked up 3 of those. I managed to get 25lbs in each one.

I was allways told that they aren't food safe, but they do have the same recycle code as my Ale Pales.

Latest posts

Back