240v Heatsticks: Love 'em or Hate 'em ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vballdrummer

Reaction score
In planning my second eBrewery, I've looked at some of the handywork of members building heatsticks. Some of the newer designs (tri-clamp elbow type) have some real merit. Rather than discuss differing designs, I am interested to hear pro/cons and experience-based opinions between 240V heatsticks to the tradiditional thru-the-wall (TTW) element design.

Right now I'm using TTW for both my BK and HLT. The biggest annoyance I have is the pig-tail and it's propensity to get in the way when a thorough cleaning requires me to move and/or wash the kettle down. I'm using a 2" gray PVC endcap over my element connections with a 5/8" hole for the cord to pass through. The cap is sealed to the kettle using hi-temp silicone, so it's fairly small considering. The connector ends are water resistand twist-lok. (see attached) But, it's still a pain. I've thought about having a recepticle in a box mounted directly to the keg, but this would get fairly large and add potential for water intrusion.

I was thinking of using a 240V heatstick for my new 20g kettles - figuring I can always drill holes, mount and re-sell the heatstick if I did not like it.

Then there's also the question of why i need to move/hose off my kettles - probably because that's they way I've always done it. Clean in place sounds nice, but inevitably, drips dribbles, condensation the possibility of a boilover have me thinking of convenience.

So, do you love 'em or hate 'em, and why?

2011-02-21_12-38-41_933.jpg

I'm using both designs on my current 2 bbl kettle. 2 through-wall triclamp elements, and 2 heatsticks, all 6000 watt. You should also consider the tri-clamp bulkhead method. This would allow you to easily and completely remove the element and electrical box or housing and clean more freely. I used Kal's method of mounting the element in an outdoor box (I used a single gang box), and just used triclamp to connect the box and element to the kettle. You would need to weld or solder a 1.5" triclamp ferrule to your kettle.

Forget the option for permanent installation. You've already found out its drawbacks right? :)

I love my sticks too, but they are bulky. If I only needed one element, I'd say the best solution is the triclamp/gangbox.

Another argument for heatsticks is the ability to remove them and whirlpool.

Latest posts

Back