First attempt a recipe formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzoobrew

Reaction score
I am taking my first stab at recipe formulation. My brew partner and I have experience with extract brewing from kit but are looking to expand upon that. I am trying to formulate an All Grain recipe (brew in a bag method) for a tart wheat beer. We are leaning towards using raspberry in the secondary. I have looked around but could not find a recipe to go off of for what we want so I am taking a stab at this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

5 lbs Light Wheat Malt
2.5 lbs 2 row
1 lbs Acidulated Malt
? lbs raspberry
1 oz Mt Hood (60 min boil)

Undecided on yeast. Thinking about a cleaner American ale yeast.

I really suggest reading the book "designing great beers". This book has been a great book for me and I still pull it out every once in awhile for styles that I'm not 100% on. It will help you along the way in recipe formulation.

As for your recipe...

I'd suggest a 50/50 or 40/60 2-row/wheat mix. I'd also probably keep the acid malt to less than 10% of the total grist. I usually do around a pound of fresh fruit per gallon. With raspberries, you can get by with a little less, especially in a wheat.

Also, go with a wheat yeast.

Back