Nut Brown...Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sieglere

Reaction score
So I love me some nut brown ales. I enjoy them on the malty side and on the nutty side (often go hand in hand, but not always). I was wondering: since I have a fridge that I've modified so that I can lager in it (well tore the door up really :ban: ) perhaps a nut brown lager might be nice.

What would the flavor difference for the lager vs the nut brown ale. Also, I've never made a lager before but I have 7 brews under my belt, so general advice in terms of logistics?

Bump

I was just searching for this and came across your post. My SWMBO bought a honey brown lager and really enjoys it, so of course I offer to try and clone. It's ok. Wouldn't call it great. Very smooth and crisp with hints of nuttiness. Don't really catch any honey type of tastes, but it has that kind of adjuncty/corny kind of smell/taste that you expect from Budweiser. I think I'll change it up a bit. Prolly mostly pale malt, a little crystal and some special B. Add honey at either 1min or flameout and use a nice clean lager yeast.

I guess to answer your question, a brown lager seems like a viable idea. Maybe I'll brew this up and let you know what I think and maybe give you some tips on what to improve on mine.

I actually ended up making an ale, adding a pound of brown sugar and innoculating with lager yeast so it could lager for a week

Latest posts

Back