blending - or when 2 wrongs make a right!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I have brewed 2 beers I am not so wild about, my first couple of mediocre brews. One is a slightly too sweet - not attenuated enough - stout and one is a slightly too bitter IPA. The IPA has a single type of hop so has a one dimensional hop flavor. Blended though the result is great!!

The stout I have is fresh and I have a full 5 gallons, but only maybe 2 or so gallons of the IPA. I am considering brewing another IPA specifically to blend with the stout once this one is finished. I am slightly conflicted at what to do, recipe-wise.

So how do you blend your beers? And if you wanted a black and tan blend what would you brew for the tan part? I am kind of excited actually about this as it opens up some pretty cool opportunities for unusual beers.

make micro blends and figure out what proportions work well. if you're gonna make a whole batch to blend then the options are endless. the best thing would be to make a quick TAT beer that's low alcohol and highly hopped. remember less fermentables = higher hop utilization.

Glad it worked out for you. When i blended 2 'eh' batches I ended up with double dose of eh beer.

Latest posts

Back