Galvanic Action?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's brew science, I guess :D

If I want to put SS fittings on my aluminum pot.. do I have to worry about the pot eroding with the SS fittings.. or do I have to insulate both sides of it?

http://www.corrosionist.com/stainless_steel_aluminum_galvanic_corrosion.html

According to the link above it looks like it will corrode. The aluminum isn't very noble, which means it will corrode. Even though the stainless is noble it looks like the large amount of aluminum on a small amount of stainless will cause the stainless to corrode.

However, it won't be in contact with a contact with fluid very often. Maybe that means it won't corrode our corrode as fast? Maybe someone else can confirm that?

Maybe it would be best to connect them with an insulator and not worry about it.

Yes, it will corrode unless insulated from each other.
If you're threading ss into aluminum (or vice versa) at least use several wraps of teflon tape.

Thanks..
Actually, I have two 7.5 G aluminum turkey fryer pots I'd like to drill and put SS weldless fittings on. One side gets mostly protected by the 0-ring.. but the other side is pretty much a dry fit.

I'm sure I could make it work for a while if corrosion is a factor.. but, would be nice to have a solution other than new pots.

I really like the smaller diameter/tall turkey fryer pots. I can't find them economically for brewing out of ss.

I've found the wide pots boil off a lot more water than the narrow ones.. which is one reason.

Latest posts

Back