Yeast nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ijasonbright

Reaction score
Quick question:

I am making my first batch of cider and have three different ratios of granny smith apples and crab apples in three different fermenters.

I have the yeast nutrient and a Vintners Premium Wine yeast SN-9.

I read somewhere that you add the Nutrient. Enforce the yeast but it didn't explain how long before?

Do you stir after each step also?

Help!

Add the yeast nutrient, you'll get a much healthier fermentation with it.
Nutrient is usually added at the beginning of primary fermentation, but there is also staggered nutrient additions (SNA). SNA is adding part of the nutrient at various stages of fermentation instead of adding it all in 1 dose at the beginning. For cider, either will work. You can learn more about SNA here:
http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/SNAddition.pdf

If you're adding to primary prior to yeast pitch, I'd stir the hell out of it to both mix well & aerate the must. If the fermentation has been going for a while, I'd mix the nutrient with a little boiled & cooled water & GENTLY stir it in, or rack onto it. Adding a dry powder to an active fermentation will provide nucleation points & cause the CO2 to suddenly come out of solution...

Meaning it can cause quite an eruption of must to come shooting out the top of the carbouy, much like a wet, sticky, boozy volcano.
Hope this info helps.
Regards, GF.

Thank you for your help.

I added they east nutrient and just gave it a very good stir and then added the yeast and gave it a good stir about 15 minutes later so I hope that works.

Time will tell I guess!

I have used nutrient for the first time recently. Normally I always went without. one thing i noticed is that the fermentation is way stronger! The strongest Ive had yet. I almost got a blowout. haven't tasted it yet, normally i do a quick reference tasting after every primary fermentation, this is so i don't waste the brew in the hydrometer reading. Hopefully it will increase a better quality product. If not then i don't know if I will use it again. Probably not hahah why would I if there is no difference!?

Good luck.

Back