XLR connectors waterproof?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrazza

Reaction score
If I wanted to use an XLR connector male to female inside the mash tun, are they waterproof at their connection? I was looking at one and think it might be, but I can't tell about the latching lever if that's water proof. Anyone?

having built a few cables in my day, I would advise against it. They do seem of decent quality and often do have a rubber seal, however, I do not believe that isolates all openings of the connector, such as the set screws and such.

Maybe water resistant, but I would not consider them waterproof

They most definitely are NOT waterproof. I would only use them at the control panel (and I do).

Why are you using the connector IN the mash tun?

You might look at M8 connectors which are, at the very least, highly water resistant. Derrin put those on my temp probe cables and I love them.

C5Z2lQEWkKGrHqJiE0EyV9Ej-BNFCe0DYcQ_35.jpg

What about a chrome-plated brass waterproof electrical mast connector? I'm just needing a two prong connector to attach a cable running to a float switch. It's just 12V DC running through it. This looks like it will work. It won't be submerged, but will be in the wall of the mash tun. The mash tun is stainless, so do you think there will be any problem with this being chrome plated brass? If wort splashed on it, would there be any corrosive issues?

Its frustrating when you know "some" vendor out that has what you're looking for, but it can be a pain to find. I'm sure there is a business that has dealt with brewing equipment and has a good solution.

As an electrical engineer I became frustrated with trying to find stuff like waterproof connectors or other components. So I created boomalink.com.

If you go to boomalink.com and enter "waterproof connectors" a list of over 100 vendors that I've personally screened will show up. You can check each link out to hopefully find what you're looking for.

Or, you can submit a listing for free listing exactly what you are trying to do and the site will notify the businesses that supply waterproof connectors for you. Its up to you, whatever works best. The direct link is http://boomalink.com/index.php/item/get/postings/previous_search/0BB3210E4E174FDC9806B1738355A3C0

Hope this helps someone,

Terrell

Update on the site. I weeded out few vendors for waterproof connectors and also took off vendors that we don't have contact info for.

However, the list is still >60 vendors. Also, the list is located at the bottom of the page now.

Terrell

You need to search IP67 rated connectors for submersion.

If not submerged, then you will need to get splash protected connectors, IP64/IP65.
Some XLR connectors do carry the IP65 rating.

Back