Double Oatmeal stout fermenting slowly.... Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branCHEs

Reaction score
I brewed it 3 weeks ago, transferred to secondary 1 week ago.

Here is the recipe:

Sacch' rest 155 for 60 min

Mash out 170 for 30 min

1-2 weeks primary, 4 weeks secondary

11 English Maris otter
1.85 lbs flaked oats
1 Belgian special b
.85 Franco-belges kiln coffee malt
1 English chocolate malt
.5 English black malt

Boil time and additions

60 min 1 oz nugget pellet hops
30 min .5 oz willamette pellet hops
0 min .5 oz willamette pellet hops

OG 1/20/13 : I messed up here.... Too many beers in me and I can't remember exactly what it was.... Beer calculator says it should be 1.075, my very poor memory is telling me 1.07

Gravity 2/6/13 : 1.04

Tis seems to be fermenting pretty slowly.... What do you guys think?

had you left it on the yeast until it reached final gravity it would have been able to finish up. taking off of the yeast left a smaller amount of yeast to finish the job. what would 4 weeks in the secondary do that 6 weeks in the primary won't besides slow down your fermentation?

Honestly, not I'm not sure... I'm a beginner and that was only my second all grain batch. Rookie mistake I guess. I was under the impression that if you left the beer on the primary yeast for too long the beer will develop off flavors from the dead yeast cells. I guess this isn't true?

I guess I'll just have to check gravity in a couple days and see if it has changed?

Would there be a chance that I would have to pitch another pack of yeast?

What are my possible out comes and possible solutions?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

you could just hang on until it finishes, pitch some yeast from the primary if you saved it or pitch a rehydrated pack of US-05 to finish up. yeast are not going to die and produce off flavors in a homebrew setting (unless the fermentor is sitting in the hot sun for a week) so it's fine to leave the beer on the yeast for weeks or even months, i just bottled a beer that was in the primary for 11 months.

Back