Autumn Seasonal Beer Pumpkin Spiced Mocha-Latte

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjjohns5

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast Thames Valley Ale (1275)
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 @ 65
Tasting Notes
The aroma at bottling was coffee, chocolate, roast, pumpkin pie, then cinnamon.
Wanted to make a Pumpkin Latte taste in a beer. Started with a concept of a milk stout and added everything below in order to make what I envisioned.

10 lbs 2-Row
3.75 lbs Pumpkin
1.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lbs Rice Hulls
0.5 lbs Carmel 60L

0.5 oz Columbus (15.4%) @ 60 min

1.5 lbs Lactose @ 10 min
1 tsp Pumpkin Spice @ 1 min
1 tsp Cinnamon @ 1 min
6 oz Newman's Own French Roast Whole Bean Coffee for 24 hours in the secondary
1 tsp Pumpkin Spice/Cinnamon mixture tea @ bottling

Taste was sweet but balanced perfectly with the bitterness, coffee up front, roasty chocolate, then pumpkin pie and cinnamon flavors.

Will update when I open one in a week to try it.

Any news on this brew, I am thinking about doing a very similar brew next month.... Still got pumpkin in the freezer waitin!

It turned out tasty. I will say this though, you may want to cut out the coffee. That actually dominated the flavor. If you want the pumpkin taste, don't add the coffee. The chocolate malt will give you just enough of that flavor by itself.

Or, you can try the cold brew method. That way you can regulate exactly how much coffee flavor you wish to add to the beer.

anyone try this recipe or make something similar? if i were to make this, i'd want to use roasted fresh pumpkin, and add a very small amount of cold brewed coffee to the secondary to let the subtle pumpkin come through. maybe 1/2-3/4 cup of light roasted coffee. or just use coffee malt. i'm also skeptical about using spice at bottling.

OP, how do you feel about that batch now? ever make this again? what did you/ would you change?

Thanks for posting. I tried something similar randomly. I'm still waiting to add the coffee and spice in secondary.

Pumpkin Latte:

9 lb. – US 2-Row
2 lb. –Rice Hulls
1 lb. –Flaked Barley
1 lb. –Carmel/Crystal -60L
1 lb. – Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb.-Roasted Barley
1 lb.-Lactose (end of boil)

1oz.- Magnum

4oz. – Ground Coffee
1 lb. – Pumpkin pulp (cooked for 25 min. at 350°F)
1 tsp – Pumpkin pie spice.
1 tsp - Cinnamon
0.25 oz. – Vanilla extract

Yeast WLP001

Back