Before I make the step to start growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbelokur

Reaction score
I would like to start buying hops in bulk. Now I have read that those who grow their own will freeze their hops and use them throughout the year. Does anyone think there would be a problem with my buying in bulk and freezing them to save on money? Is there any change in the hop characteristics as a result of the freezing/thawing process?

Well like I said before I start growing I'd like to start buying bulk, but I don't want to do this unless I can avoid losing some of my hop as a result of not using them fast enough.

Well like I said before I start growing I'd like to start buying bulk, but I don't want to do this unless I can avoid losing some of my hop as a result of not using them fast enough.

I use a vacuum sealer, and store hops in the freezer. I have about 7 pounds of various hops in my freezer at the moment. Properly vacuum packed and sealed, and kept frozen, they will last a long long time.

Or you can use glass mason jars. hopsdirect.com has the best prices I've seen. They grow and pelletalize their own hops and sell them directly to whomever.

Just keep them in the freezer in some type of oxygen-barrier container and you'll be fine for easily one year.

Yeah sorry to seem smart ass, I just didn't see how hops freezing belonged in "hops growing" more of an ingredient discussion at this point!

I think freezing belongs in growing all aspects of the plant are discussed in this forum from planting to post harvest and use Cheers

Back