Can you "deactivate" Iodophor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eviljafar

Reaction score
After cleaning my equipment on Saturday I wasn't too fussy about draining the aseptox solution from stuff before I sanitised with Iodophor. I noticed while sanitising my gear that the iodophor solution had lost its colour and its smell. I did an experiment tonight and I can make a glass of iodophor solution go clear/white with a tiny bit of Aseptox or Solide. Aseptox seems to kill the Iodine smell faster than Solide. This doesn't really surprise me given the way these cleaners can make brown sludge disappear, but does mixing iodophor with small amounts of aseptox or solide "deactivate" the iodophor, making in ineffective as a sanitiser? I recall people posting saying they used the colour of their iodophor solution as an indication of how effective it is.

Cheers, Jaf.

Google search seems to show that Aseptox is an oxygen cleaner/sanitizer like one-step. It probably breaks down the iodine by oxidizing it. Not sure what the result on sanitizer strength is.

Back