Need Head Advice......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
....go ahead with the smart remarks! :mug:

Anyway, brewing a sweet stout tomorrow:
Will have Pale Malt, Black Patent, Chocolate Malt, and Crystal.

i would like to add flaked barley or flaked wheat or wheat malt or barley malt to help with the head......

Any advice on which is best for this type beer and how much (5.5 gallon batch)

Thanks

Without knowing your actual recipe, it's really difficult to make a recommendation on how much of something else to add (if anything). I would be more inclined to add flaked barley to the recipe if I was making it. I would also go for less than 1/2#. Another option could be to add a few ounces of cara-pils to the recipe.

Personally, I'd brew it without either addition first, and SEE how the head is on it. You can always brew it again and add something else for increased head retention (if needed).

Here it is:

5.5 gallon
9 lbs -11 oz UK Pale Malt
15.5 oz Black patent
12 oz Crystal Malt (80L)
8 oz Chocolate malt
1 lb Lactose

Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread)
EK Goldings 1.33 oz (60 mins)

60 min Mash at 151F

This is a recipe by Jamil....from BYO magazine......scaled up from 5 gallons to 5.5 gallons

I think it might be smart to just do as is and see how head is (like Golddiggie suggests)....I was thinking on the order of 8 oz flaked barley....but maybe hold off and see.

BTW...Pappers, thanks for sharing your recipe

Do the original first, before messing around with it. Especially since it's a published recipe. After you have had it, you can adjust it IF needed.

Latest posts

Back