refrigerator fermentation chamber question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikrocks

Reaction score
I've searched and searched, but haven't found the answer to my question just yet.

Has anyone removed the divider between the fridge & freezer units in a full sized freezer on the top fridge? I want to use the entire fridge as a fermentation chamber, as I could then build a middle shelf and be able to ferment to tiers of buckets/carboys.

I have a love controller, of course.

Thanks!

I think you have two concerns here...
1)it's possible coolant coils run through that middle shelf to cool the freezer and/or fridge
2)that middle shelf may be giving the fridge some structural stability (picture a big frame without a cross beam, like on a fence gate). The fridge may have a tendency to rack without it.

If you haven't already, so some google hunting to try and find out if that middle shelf has coils. If you plan to replace it with another shelf anyways, make that beefy to give the fridge some lateral strength.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

it has been done by Boerderij_Kabouter

CIMG2445.JPG

here is the thread sidebyside

Mattjmac--thanks. I actually don't have the fridge in my possession yet, but I'll inspect it before I take it.

Boerderij_Kabouter's build is awesome. My first choice would be a side by side, but my fridge is a top-freezer model. Not sure if the top freezer has any coils or hose running through the horizontal divider/shelf.

if it has a plastic liner I would carefully cut a section out and then remove the insulation. You will be able to see if there are coils

Latest posts

Back