Any wort chillers for kitchen faucet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
Most that I see out there seem to be either AN fittings or else hose barb fittings. Are there any out there that would connect to a kitchen faucet? IE by removing the aerator on the faucet and screwing in the wort chiller connection?

I went to Lowe's and got a fitting that is 3/4 swivel fitting to a 3/8 barb. Allows me to remove the aerator, put the swivel on the faucet and connect the chiller line to the barb.

Not for nothing but here is something I do.. If you live in a house, or maybe even an apartment, usually every kitchen has a window. The threading on my kitchen sink is now stripped so it forced me to think outside the box. or in my case outside the kitchen. It downed upon me that every house has an outdoor faucet. So now I simply have my garden hose hooked up to the outside faucet and then I crack the window open just a little in the winter time. From there I run the tubing out the window and connect it to the garden hose with the proper adapter. Therefore absolutely no drips from the connection can occur inside. And trust me that window is open maybe an inch in the winter time. No wheres near open enough to lose the heat in your house or let in too much cold air. But if you are really anal about that then simply stuff a blanket or towel in the open crack area to keep all cold out. Just my two cents.

My only problem is that I shut the water off to the outside faucets in the winter time because of freezing worries/issues. In the summer time its more a worry of letting mosquitos in.

My brother-in-law suggested setting up in the garage as my stove takes a long time to heat a full pot. About 70 minutes for my aluminum 24qt pot with 5 gallons in it. A propane burner would manage to do that a lot faster. Downside is I don't have a water hook-up anywhere near the garage. It's going to be a future plan. My wife and I had been thinking of demo'ing the garage and rebuilding it (since it a bit dumpy compared to the rest of the house) and adding a master suite above the garage. I'd have the opportunity to added plumbing and a utility sink in there at that time and I could use the garage as my brew station then.

A little cable and network jack as well...setup a TV out there and I could just disapear for half a day at a time.

I have to use the cold water from the washing machine since my apartment doesnt have outdoor faucets.

What I did was install a tee fitting inline to the 1/2" (rigid) pipe under the sink, with a ball valve + a male garden hose fitting coming off of it.

All I have to do is hook up the hose to it under the sink and then open up the ball valve. And because it's on the 1/2" pipe rather than after the point where it changes to the 3/8" (ductile) pipe (or the faucet itself which is fed by the 3/8" pipe), it provides a significantly higher flow rate than any faucet adapter could ever provide.

Because of the VASTLY superior flow rate (allowing for much faster cooling and quicker pot-filling), the ease of installation, and the convenience of having a permanent valve/garden hose disconnect under the sink (rather than having to change faucet adapters/aerators all the time or bring water from an outdoor spigot), I would recommend this to anyone in a heartbeat. And a lot of the higher-end kitchen faucets don't have the threads for a removable aerator, making this solution even more flexible for ANYONE to use.

I swapped out the faucet on the utility sink for one that had the garden hose threads already on it. The spigot was also one of those that is on a hose like is common on kitchen faucets. it works great for hooking up to chiller and pulling the sprayer head out to clean kegs and fermenters.

Back