should i add potasium sorbate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsmadness

Reaction score
I recently made a batch of blackberry wine, seemed to go pretty well.i started off with sg reading of 1.092 waited 5 days of vigrous fermenting then racked to secondary 3 gallon carboy and 1 gallon carboy, waited five week and sg was .960 i racked and lost about half gallon i got it in 3 gallon carboy and two 750 ml wine bottles with air locks. its been 3 weeks. my question is should i add camped tabs and potasium sorbate now are wait untill i bottle. i plan on racking again in couple of weeks then aging for about 6 months.

thanks, Bryan

What's your intent with the PS?

PS is used to inhibit further fermentation. This allows you to add more sugar to backsweeten when you don't want it to ferment out.

If you're planning a carbonated wine then you don't want to use PS.

What's your intent with the PS?

PS is used to inhibit further fermentation. This allows you to add more sugar to backsweeten when you don't want it to ferment out.

If you're planning a carbonated wine then you don't want to use PS.

i was going to leave part dry and bottle some semi sweet

At .96 it is already dry. Chances of re-fermenting are slim, unless as you say, you are going to sweeten a part of it. Then by all means us Potassium Sorbate or you will encounter problems. Also, your initial S.G. indicates a high ABV level for a blueberry. Have you sampled it and does it taste similar to jet fuel? I would think with those numbers it would have an extreme kick to it for a wine.

Just my $0.02.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Salute! :mug:

If your going to rack in a couple weeks, just add it then. There will be no problem with it aging in the carboy with the sorbate. Its your choice if you want to add it to only the part you are going to backweeten. I would tend to add it to all of it to make it simple, then just backweeten some when you bottle.

Back