PEX for heat exchange?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwb96

Reaction score
Has anyone tried PEX as the coil in their heat exchanger? Cheaper, easier to bend, as easy to plumb, good to 200*.

I know its thermal properties are nowhere near copper's, but if sitting in a few gallons of water, will the thermal mass outweigh the lack of conductivity?

Would need to be careful around the heating element too.

Anyway, just thinkin' . . .

Jim

will the thermal mass outweigh the lack of conductivity?

i wouldnt think so. when you are talking about an in-HLT coil, you have such a thermal mass that changing temperature of it requires a LOT of energy to do so in a reasonable amount of time. adding more insulation by using PEX over copper would even further increase the reactivity time and lessen your control (meaning- the amount of time between setting your HLT at a higher temp, and seeing that temp change in your mash tun). i wouldnt be suprised if there were a several-fold increase in the delay, over copper.

i guess you could counter that by using a much longer coil in the HLT, but then you are going to be taking up a good amount of its volume.

Back