Gapping A Nearly Gapless SS Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

day_trippr

The Central Scruuuutinizer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago I decided to eliminate copper in my end to end brewing process and picked up a 50 foot 1/2" SS IC.
It worked pretty well - faster than my home-wound 50' CU IC - but that used 3/8" tubing which is a pretty big difference.

Anyway, one thing that always bugged me was the inside of the IC was a dead zone wrt wort movement.
My flat-out whirlpooling (6-7 GPM) had to make a huge excursion around the IC instead of having at least some of the flow run through the coil stack.

And it wasn't hard to figure: almost the entire length of each loop was slammed tight to its neighbors,
from almost the bottom to almost the top, in a 19 loop stack. I wish I had a picture of the IC in its pristene state.

I tried simply loosening the clamps that held everything in place but instead of uniformly expanding the stack it threw a bulge to one side.
No bueno. I tried manhandling the thing but other than repeated finger pinches all I managed to do was further distort the loops.
So I clamped it tight again and lived with it.

But I've hankered to do something about it for years, just didn't have any great ideas on how. Still don't ;)

I had considered SS wire, but really didn't think it could be done.
But I finally bit the bullet a week ago, picked up a 23 foot coil of "fully annealed" 1/8" thick solid 304 stainless steel wire from McMaster-Carr,
and figured/hoped I'd find some way to thread it through the stack in three pairs of interwoven runs positioned evenly around the circumference for stability.

I'll say right here, "fully annealed 1/8" SS solid wire" is nowhere near as flexible as one might hope.
The stuff is a ***** to bend, but it does stay bent, so that's something.

So right off I had to decide how long to make each wire. Running short would totally suck, but excessive length would make things that much harder.
I wanted to weave a pair of wires against each other to keep all the tubing square/plumb, so I decided to use the full circumference
of the 1/2" tubing multiplied by the number of loops in the stack (plus one), double that, and add a few inches for insurance.
That math worked out to 72" for each of three wires.

Next I found the middle of each wire and made a 1/2" radius bend at that spot, then positioned each wire one third of the way around the coil.
Then I clamped the bottom loop to a piece of 3/4" plywood using hard copper pipe brackets in between the wire positions.
The plywood would allow me to hold the IC in place while working.

So, off I went, full of trepidation (did I mention the wire is a ***** to bend?)

First pic is the IC in its manhandled condition. You can see I managed to open up some gaps,
but I wanted much more than that. Plus, symmetry would be nice as a straight stack
wouldn't prevent my 6" SS spider from occupying the kettle as well.

ic_mods_01sm.jpg

Next, the folded wires are in place.

ic_mods_02sm.jpg

Then "SPROING!" Clamps released, stack gone haywire, and I'm off!

ic_mods_03sm.jpg

At this point I had managed to find a repeatable process to get a few loops bound together, and had gotten to where I was beginning to think I had a
realistic chance of pulling this off. I found a 12" channelock along with a 10" channelock allowed holding a wire loop snug to a tube so
it wouldn't back out while using the other pair to roll the wire tight over the next tube section. Also, a third clamp kept pairs of tubing
parallel to the stack didn't develop a lean, while a pair of MDF wedges gave me the space above the tube to pass the ends of the SS wire
through the stack a lot easier.

ic_mods_04sm.jpg

This was the end of the first session, a little over three hours of effort. Six loops bound in three places, and my hands were sore as hell
and nicked in a couple places. Time for many beers - and a couple of Band-Aids! By this time I had cut the plywood base down to the minimum
to allow better leverage with the clamps. I was a little concerned that because I couldn't keep the wire as tight through its weave as
"circumference" implies I was going to run out of wire before the full IC was bound up.

ic_mods_05sm.jpg

I worked on the coil for a few hours Sunday and Monday and managed to get the full coil bound together.

ic_mods_06sm.jpg

Cannot cut this stuff without the compound hardened dykes that I don't possess, so I used a Dremel with a virgin fiber cutoff wheel - and a full face shield.

ic_mods_08sm.jpg

After pinching the tag ends into the gaps to keep them from snagging things it was ready for cleaning and passivation.

ic_mods_09sm.jpg

[to be continued]

Cheers!

So...with bruised and nicked hands, the process continued.

This angle shows decent gaps through the coil from bottom to top. And tbh it's more plumb than ever. Also, it shows that inserting gaps made the tubing travel just a wee bit longer for each 360° such that the output leg ended up almost 10" away from the input leg. Not a functional problem at all, but it did mean I needed to add a wire to bind the input leg to the coil to maximize the "hang over" to the kettle rim.

ic_mods_09sm.jpg

Five pounds of citric acid powder arrived overnight so I was ready to go. First thing was to thoroughly scrub the coil and wiring with a thick BKF slurry and a stiff brush, getting the slurry into the gaps and under the wiring. I went at that for a good 30 minutes inside and out, and after rinse it was nice and shiny already.

ic_mods_10sm.jpg

It was going to take six gallons of solution (~50 pounds) to cover the top loop of the IC, so I weighed up enough citric acid to make a 6% solution.

ic_mods_11sm.jpg

Mixed the acid up with 6 gallons of hot tap water, stuffed the IC in the bucket, then started the clock.

ic_mods_12sm.jpg

Every 10 minutes or so I moved the coil around to agitate the solution. After 60 minutes I could see a slight bluish tinge to the solution.

ic_mods_13sm.jpg

More obvious here.

ic_mods_14sm.jpg

I had filled a bucket with RO water for the first rinse with plenty of agitation, followed by lots of rinsing with the well water. Nice shine going on.

ic_mods_15sm.jpg

The gaps - the whole point - in full display. Along with the wire. Tough, cold, heartless wire ;)

ic_mods_16sm.jpg

Still fits nicely in the bk with plenty of room for my spider and a comfortable overhang to the hose QDs.

ic_mods_22sm.jpg

I should be brewing on Thursday and will see if this was worth the effort.

I will note the gaps increased the total height of the coil by roughly 2 inches, which will put a couple of loops above my typical chilled 11 gallon volume to the fermentors, but if I'm getting a decent flow through the coil I anticipate a net reduction in chilling time...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nicely done! Thanks for the write-up! I am considering doing the same to mine. Do you think the 1/8" wire provides enough space for convection around the coil? Would you consider using smaller gauge wire next time?

MT

Honestly, this is a venture into the proverbial forest here :D
To my knowledge this hasn't even been attempted before, and not without sane reason.

Fluid dynamics are a pita. The 1/8"+ gaps will still provide resistance, but hopefully not so much that the flow through the coil isn't clearly superior. And so I won't know much of anything until I actually spin some 60 point wort in that kettle. I'll try to take a short telling video.

Once I have some assessment of performance I may be able to consider how thinner wire might work without it being a total shot in the dark...like this exercise ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Had a similar thought recently but decided trying to lace the coils wouldn't give me enough spacing so I used spacer bars instead. The drilling was not fun but turned out nice. Also decided as long as I'm going this far why not add a slow rpm stirrer to improve the chilling. Works great and brings the temp down amazingly fast.
IMG_4786 - Copy.JPG

Lol! I like it - and my hands would have loved it - but where the hell were you when we were discussing this here?

Sheesh!

Cheers! :D

[edit] How wide are the gaps? They don't look much wider that what I ended up with.
Counting the loops, that must be a very wide diameter coil, or it's not a 50 footer. If the former I'd have to stick my spider inside the coil...

Last edited:
Lol! I like it - and my hands would have loved it - but where the hell were you when we were discussing this here?

Sheesh!

Cheers! :D

[edit] How wide are the gaps? They don't look much wider that what I ended up with.
Counting the loops, that must be a very wide diameter coil, or it's not a 50 footer. If the former I'd have to stick my spider inside the coil...

Thanks.. I'm pretty happy with. The gaps are about 1/4" and the coil is 50ft, 10" high by 13" in diameter. So yes very wide and no room for anything else in the kettle but the way it's mounted to the lid it wouldn't matter anyway. Also has a gas port so the wort is nitrogen blanketed during the hot stirring.

IMG_4790 - Copy.JPG

Back