Fruit flies in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanibel14

Reaction score
Hi Guys

New to this forum and new to home brewing. Just finished my second batch of Scotch Ale yesterday. When I checked it this afternoon I noticed 2 dead fruit flies floating in the water of the airlock to the fermenter. The airlock has a cap on it that was sealed properly and the fermenting bucket was fully sealed but I suspect the flies are small enough to either penetrate the airlock cap or maybe the lid to the bucket?! What do you think? Do I need to fish the dead flies out tof the airlock? Is the entire batch ruined? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Keep that airlock full. As long as the flies don't get into the beer you are perfectly fine, bro. Most likely the flies got through the airlock cap.

And as anyone here will tell you - NEVER throw out a batch. Always let it age to term, and if it tastes off at that point, let it age some more - months even...

This is definitely why we have airlocks! Fruit flies are very good as getting acetobacter into beer, so you have to watch it. You'll end up with vinegar. I know I did.

To wierd i have four five gallon batches of wine going and noticed tonight that three of my four air locks with lids had 3 to five fruit flies i carfully removed cleaned and inspected the wine contents and found no sign of anything in the brew this feaks me out i have just been using water and that will change is my wine ruined or savable what should i do now? help please.

Just dump the airlocks and refill with starsan. You're fine. Be careful not to pick it up if it's a bucket. That might suck in the infected airlock liquid.

Latest posts

Back