Washed yeast life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deviousalex

Reaction score
How long can you keep washed yeast in the fridge for? I generally don't like to do two of the same style of beer one after another.

I have some rewashed yeast in my fridge thats over a year old now I just make a starter to check its viability and have had no problems so far. I have a wyeast 1098 on 12th generation that still ferments 6 to 12 hrs after pitching.

I agree with the 8901 but it is still attenuates as strong as it ever was maybe a little off on flavor but not enough for me to worry about.

About a month ago I used some WLP004 that was 1st gen washed sitting in my fridge for about 6 mos or so, it was a 10 gallon batch of a stout.

IMG_2061.JPG

Only thing is that my attenuation sucked, 60.5% AT. Having said that, the best attenuation I have ever gotten with this yeast is 64%, and Whit Labs states the attenuation range is 69-74%.

So I can't say whether or not the age of the yeast has anything to do with it, I did mash at a higher temp, and about 30% of my grain bill were unfermentables...just sayin'.

On a side note, I have more in my fridge that I plan to use, so I'm going to experiment with it.

Latest posts

Back