Storing A Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdonn87

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am about to keg my first home brew and I was wondering how long I can save it in the keg. I was planning on kegging it and storing it in the closet for a little while (maybe a month or two). I was wondering if this was alright to do or if I should just bottle this batch instead. I would imagine it would save fine (like bottling) but I wanted to get some input to make sure I dont ruin/waste a whole batch.

Thanks
-JD

Thanks Revvy.

Any idea if it behaves any differently than storing bottles? (should I fully carbonate it to store it and how long will it be alright stored?)

Thanks again for the help on this

Put CO2 in there to make sure there's positive pressure and thus nothing is getting in. I'd put 15lbs. or so in there. Maybe give it 30lbs. first, purge the air, then 15lbs. to store.

If you're planning to store it for a period of time anyway, you might consider even priming the keg to save on the CO2- just give it a blast at around 30psi (then purge, and blast it again) when you close it up to set the lid.
Let sugar do it's thing over the long period, and that way you don't need to leave it hooked up anywhere.
Some brewers report that you might have *some* additional yeast from their priming activities, but unless crystal clear beer is that big a deal to you (and bottles would therefore suffer the same fate), I wouldn't let it bother me.

Back