Question about plugs and connectors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
So Im looking for the last Receptacle I need for my control box (NEMA L14-30 (250VAC/30A) twist lock electrical male receptacle) based on theelectricbrewery.com. Im having difficulty finding the right one and wondering if there was any reason why he used a male receptacle and not a female one. The female ones are a lot cheaper and more available and I can easily put a male plug on my power cord. Any ideas?

So Im looking for the last Receptacle I need for my control box (NEMA L14-30 (250VAC/30A) twist lock electrical male receptacle) based on theelectricbrewery.com. Im having difficulty finding the right one and wondering if there was any reason why he used a male receptacle and not a female one. The female ones are a lot cheaper and more available and I can easily put a male plug on my power cord. Any ideas?
Putting a male plug on the output end of a power cord is a VERY serious mistake. Do NOT do that. This exposes live power to you and anyone else near it. Keep in mind that a cord with a plug on it is always an unpowered and safe device by all standards as it should be.

Here is one meant for a different purpose:
homedepot.com NEMA+L14-30

You can take the inlet apart and use it for your rig. At $25 it is a very good deal.

Grainger has them as well but they charge $90 for it. grainger.com Flanged-Inlet-3D090

I hope this helps you.

P-J

Thanks for the response, was thinking that would probably be the reason why and right after I posted this I found THIS so ended up getting that.

Thanks for the response, was thinking that would probably be the reason why and right after I posted this I found THIS so ended up getting that.
You did really well finding that one. The price is great also.
Best part for me (never thought of that vendor before) there is a Northern Tools very close to me here in Charlotte. The price is also the same in the store.

Thanks for posting that.

P-J

Yeah, took some crafty ebay search to get it to show up, but its the last piece I need for my control box so once it arrives I can install and wire everything up.

Question about mounting everything to the backplate. Is it required to drill and tap holes. Would be extra tools I need to buy and can use a lot of other means to secure them that will be plenty strong and last. Cant see any reason on any of the parts where grounding would be needed because of it.

Yeah, took some crafty ebay search to get it to show up, but its the last piece I need for my control box so once it arrives I can install and wire everything up.

Question about mounting everything to the backplate. Is it required to drill and tap holes. Would be extra tools I need to buy and can use a lot of other means to secure them that will be plenty strong and last. Cant see any reason on any of the parts where grounding would be needed because of it.
Within the control panel, you don't need to provide ground bonding to the components. You do need to bond the box though.

Back