Tap system parts too old???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter13

Reaction score
Alright....embarking on outfitting my game-room bar with a 2 tap system, coming from my fridge in the garage. I am going right through the garage wall into my game room with the lines, and installing the taps right on the wall within the confines of the bar. I have two questions...

My father-in-law had some really old shanks and taps, from his bar he owned years ago (maybe 10 years). Am I going to be able to get them clean enough for use? Outsides look fine, but they are pretty crusty inside...Is there some process that I should follow that would ensure they are cleaned, or should I bag my cheapness, and just spring for new stuff???

I have read a lot on the site about lengths of lines, and am concerned about coming in from the garage with the beer lines to the shanks. Really we are only talking about maybe 3 feet or so from the keg output lines to the end of the shanks...Will this length be ok?

Tks all....:mug:

1. It depends on what kind they are. If forward sealing then yes I would clean them, if not, no I would not.

2. I would be less worried about the length and more about how I would keep the lines cold.
I use 10 feet of line to slow down the 15psi I carb at. But warm lines means warm beer. At least the first pint or two. Sad to waste that..

Take the taps apart & soak them. Most taps have a seal or two that you'll probably have to replace. Shanks are nothing more than specialized pipes & as long as there is no corrosion, they'll be fine.

I'm not completely sure I understand "forward-sealed", but I am thinking that they might be corroded to some extent...

I am going to try and soak them, but we'll see...I'm just trying to be as thrifty as possible, cause the Mrs. has been really patient with my homebrew start-up to this point....She was even semi-ok with me heisting the downstairs fridge to use as my new keg fridge...(I told her there will still be room to store stuff...:eek: )

The article linked is awesome, so big thanks Erik....

Yea, the coldness of the lines didn't occur to me...Probably won't be an issue at all in the winter here in Pittsburgh, cause my garage is un-heated, and un-insulated...But I may need to get creative in the summer months.

Thanks to all...Going to watch the Steelers game!!!

Scott :mug:

Back