Google has failed: looking for winterberry recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flon18

Reaction score
So its October and there are these berry's across from my house. Lots of them, the trees are bent over from the weight. My research has narrowed down that they are winterberrys. The Winemakers recipe handbook (small pink book from my starter kit) lists as a berry that wine can be made from but with no recipe. And google has failed me a very sad and rare occurrence.

So any one have any experience with the winterberry or know were I can find some info.

Thanks

Its a kind of Holly. I have found 4 sites that say its not edible by mammals but bird do like it. Since it is a Holly variety Id stay away from it.

Google Jack Keller. He's got a home winemaker site that has recipe's for everything. If anybody would have it he would. If he doesn't I wouldn't make it.:D

so yes ive read about them not being edible and y. It a chemical like caffeine that you would not want a small child eating alot of because it would make them sick. I think it be fine for diluting into a wine.

My excitement rests in that pink book.

Funny I was reading Jack kellers site when I stopped to check if any one had posted. And no its not listed there.

Thanks for the impute so far.

Flon18: Just to be on the safe side, I'd take a cutting from the plant, including leaves & berries, or at least a couple of good close-up pics to your local county extension agent for positive identification. You may indeed be correct & all your research may be of top quality, but the county extension agent is there for just this purpose & has the years of education & training, not to mention experience with just this sort of thing. I'd hate to see anyone make a small & honest mistake & wind up drinking "Dr Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde juice." That's my 2 cents worth, hope you find it useful. Regards, GF.

Back