Splitting the Brewing Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POAS

Reaction score
Has anyone ever split the brewing process? I would like to steep the grains, sparge them, and then store the wort to boil later. This way I don't have to spend a straight 5 to 6 hours brewing, I can do it in a couple of 3 hour evenings. Does anyone do this? Would this be a bad idea? I would think that since I'm boiling the wort, I would kill anything that may grow in a couple of days, or however long I store it. I would, of course refrigerate it.

I tried to look this up, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

Well there's a good chance that when that steeped wort cools off lactobasilus from the surface of the grain will grow and leave you with sour wort. You will kill it off more than likely with the boil the next day, but that won't get rid of the sourness.

I know you're not doing all grain, but folks do do something like what you are wanting to do. BUT it involves some steps that, if you have to do them, you might as well just finish the beer.... I explained the methods in another post yesterday.

Revvy said:
If you want to do that and not have a sour wort in the morning, you need to either boil the wort first and go directly to an aquatainer while at or near boiling temps like the nochill brewers do.....

OR mash overning and leave the wort in the cooler mashtun.

Mashing overnight is fine, but you need to maintain your temp within a few degrees above pasturization temps. If you let it go cool lactobasilus will take over and it will sour. You need to keep it above 140 degrees

The people who I know who mash overning wrap their cooler in a sleeping bag or other insulated wrapper and put it near the furnace or the warmest spot in thier house, or use a heating pad.

Wow! Thanks Revvy, I would have never guessed anything of the sort would happen. I guess it'll have to wait for the weekend when I have plenty of time to do it all at once. I don't want sour beer!

Huh, i've mashed and spared the night before and boiled the next morning a couple times. I have also done the mash in the morning and boil at night.
I always take it to about 190f before letting it sit. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I almost always collect my wort (all grain) at night and boil in the morning. I leave the wort outside overnight in winter or summer and never had it sour.

I was probably going to wait a couple of days before I could get to it, so it would not have been an overnight or from morning to evening, so it's probably a good idea that I didn't do it. Thanks for the information all.

I've collected wort the day before and boiled the next morning successfully in the past. I try to avoid doing this every time because of what others have said about the possibility of overnight souring.

Like Revvy said if you let it cool there is a chance that wild yeast can get in it and start fermenting it to give you a sour taste. How big of a chance we don't know. There are a few people that do this and some that even do the no chill type method of cooling the hot wort. If you could get a no chill cube and put your hot wort in it while its hot and close the lid it would sanitize the cube and with the lid closed nothing could get in.

Back