First brew kit question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pakawa

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just got my first kit, a true brew k6. The kit instructions say to brew in the carboy for a week or until fermentation stops and then bottle, could i brew in my bottling bucket as a primary then switch to the carboy as a secondary? Would my brew benefit from this? Thanks!

You could do it that way - if you really needed to do a secondary. I would say just leave it in the primary for about three weeks, then bottle.

Kit instructions are notorious for trying to compress the timescale - they want you buying more kits. You, on the other hand, are probably more interested in making good beer. So don't rush it.

I just asked this same question about a week ago. I have the same kit. Ultimately, I ended up ordering another primary fermentation bucket without the spigot. I decided not to do my primary in the bottling bucket because I didnt really trust the spigot. Its cheap to buy another bucket. I probably won't use the glass carboy until I dry hop a batch.

You don't need to secondary. 3 weeks of fermentation in the primary seems to be pretty much the norm then bottle (or keg).

I'd recommend against fermenting in the bottling bucket because the trub will foul your spigot. Sure it can (must be) cleaned, but why deliberately gunk it up? For your first couple of kits, just follow the instructions. Yeah sure, you could leave the beer in primary for an extra week or two if you want. The important thing when you're starting out is to develop solid sanitation habits, getting used to working with the ingredients and settling into a good workflow.

Back