Hot Break Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigeb

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed up a batch of Honey Cream Ale. This was a DME recipe and during the boil stage I didn't get/see the large hot break as I expected. I understand extract brews won't have as large a hotbreak but this batch's break was smaller than my first.

Since I got the whole pot to a full boil for 60 minutes I assume I'm OK but at the same time I'm wondering if I missed something.

Any thoughts?

Nope, you're golden. I get all kinds of variation on hot breaks, whether it was extract or all grain. RDWHAHB.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, hot breaks do have a huge variety. I've had just a modest amount of foam to thick, syrupy protein consistency. If you make bigger beers and mash at least some of your grains that seems to affect the break. The big 1.084 beer I did yesterday had a huge layer of protein that took the better part of half an hour to sink, whereas other beers have had very little.

I think the main thing to keep in mind with brewing is that there is going to be variation from batch to batch and from style to style. Nothing much to worry about.

Back