First Imperial IPA. Whaddya think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
First let me say that 12lbs of grain is all I can do at a time, so thats why it is pseudo PM. I want it to finish dry to show off the hops. I'd also like it to be 12-14 SRM, so that's why the debittered is in there. Let me know if you have a better idea on how to get the color. I really like Special B, I use it in almost everything.

12.5# 2row
1.5# Light dry extract
1# sugar
.25# Special B
.125# Belgian debittered black

2oz Chinook @ 60
1oz Chinook @ 15
1oz Centennial @ 15
1oz Centennial @ 10
1oz Amarillo @ 10
1oz Centennial @ 5
1oz Amarillo@ 5
1oz Amarillo @ 0
1oz Citra @ 0
1oz Amarillo @ DH
2oz Citra @ DH

1.084/120IBU/12.8SRM

All hops are pellets. I do have 1oz of Simcoe pellets and 1oz of Simcoe leaf I could sub in as well. Maybe replace the flame out and dry hop Amarillo?

Looks fine as long as you know what you are getting into with Special B and Debittered Black Malt in an IPA....which is unique and a stylistic choice.

Hops schedule is A-OK as is the SG.

I don't really know what I'm getting into with the debittered. I've not used it, only black patent, but I saw a pound or so of debittered used in many black IPAs. I figured the flavor contribution would be minimal at the amount I'm using (2oz), especially considering its a IIPA, but I really don't know. Never used the stuff. Someone tell me I'm stupid and I should clearly be doing something else to get the color I want (12-14) with a minimal flavor change. I guess that's what I'm looking for. :)

I thought about dark crystal, but I'd have to use half a pound or so to get to 12SRM. Still think that's a better option? Maybe go 50/50 Special B/120 to get to 12? Hmmm...

BTW: This is going to be my birthday beer, that's why the style is a little unique. That's what I like to drink the most, so screw the BMC/fruity wheat beer crowd that I normally brew for at a party! :D

I'm not the expert, but if you want darkness with minimal flavor change go with Crystal 90L, it will give you a nice frothy head, the slight sweetness will be shrouded by the hops, and you'll get the color you desire. Black malt and special B imparts unique flavors that hops wont hide

Yea ditch the specialty malts. And I'd sub the Chinook 15 min with some simcoe, but that's just me.

There is some undercurrent on this forum of "Crystal in an IPA??? GROSS!" Which is strange since nearly every single commercial example uses it.

There needs to be some sweet malt backbone to support those hops. It is a symbiotic thing. Overly dry IPAs are just as nasty as overly-cloying IPAs.

.5lbs or even 1lb of 80L Crystal is not going to ruin your IIPA. It will be rich, flavorful and delicious. Your hops will be right up front and not masked in any way.

Then again, my favorite go-to IPA recipe has .5lb 120L and 1lb of 60L. Works for me in house...has won major comps for Tasty McDole and never gets knocked by anyone who drinks it.

$.02

Latest posts

Back