Leftover Ingredients = Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthBay

Reaction score
I've got a pound of Pale Chocolate and a half pound of Carastan I need to use up, and was thinking of doing a Stout, but never done one of my own recipes for a stout before.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I grab the rest of the ingredients later today?

Recipe:

7# 2-Row
2# Munich
1# Pale Chocolate Malt
1/2# Oats
1/2# Carastan
1/2# Caramel 80
1/2# Roast Barley

1oz Magnum 14.2 @ 60 Min

Mash @ 152-ish.

These will give me ~ 1.061 OG, ~54 IBUs, and ~ 32 SRM.

I'm not sure of going with a 1/4# of something darker (black barley?) in place of the Roast Barley? Also, I've got washed Nottingham, S-04, and some harvested yeast from Irish Death (similar enough to WLP002), and am not sure which to go with (thinking S04). Finally, I'm not sure i really need the oats in there, either.

Anyways, thanks in advance for the advice.

I'd used some of the numbers in Designing Great Beers as a guide. 10% dark malts, 10% caramel malts, and 5% oats. I'm a little over on the dark malts with the above, so maybe i'll just cut the roast barley altogether. I'm only really stuck with the pale chocolate and carastan, since thats what i'm trying to use up.

Biermunchers recipe isnt too far off from what i'd shot for! I have a good sweet stout recipe already though, and dont feel like putting in the lactose on this one. And i dont have maltodextrin...so, a couple of tweaks with that as a guide, and i think i'll be set.

Carastan is an english caramel malt, if i remember right, about 30L.

Back