Is my IPA infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokenjoke

Reaction score
I have been letting an IPA bottle condition for 7 to 8 weeks now. I gave a couple bottles to a brewing friend to try and I chilled a couple for myself. When I opened the bottle and poured into a glass it was very heady and it took forever for the head to disappear. The carbonation bubbles were raising like crazy. About all I could taste were the bitter hops.
My friend, who has been brewing for a long time, tried the ones I gave him and thinks the resiliant head and bitter taste is signs of an infection.
Before I pour them out I wanted to ask for opinions here since I have received so much great help in the past. Is he correct?

I think probably not infected. Ipa should be bitter. It sounds like they are over carbonated. If you post your recipe it would help us figure out other possible culprits.

Try venting a bottle or two to get some of the carbonation out - crack the cap open then let the bottle sit in your fridge for 30 min or so. Then pour it out slowly and see if its any better.

when you opened the bottle did everything gush out? it could be that its just over carbonated. how long did you chill a few hours or days. try chilling them for 3/5 days and then open one

Post your recipe.
It could be bitter by the amount of hops and the schedule vs the malt, mash temp etc etc.
Extract or all grain?
It's most likely just overcarbonation and a hop forward beer.
The first IPA I ever did, I overhopped to high hell, it was bone dry and just a hop bomb. It was overcarbed as well. That's all I can think of.

Regular homebrew bottles? If so you can only get 3.5-4 volumes before they start exploding. Not sure if this is overcarbed enough to give an off flavor.

Post your recipe.
It could be bitter by the amount of hops and the schedule vs the malt, mash temp etc etc.
Extract or all grain?
It's most likely just overcarbonation and a hop forward beer.
The first IPA I ever did, I overhopped to high hell, it was bone dry and just a hop bomb. It was overcarbed as well. That's all I can think of.

Mini mash
2 lb 2 Row
1 lb Crystal
7 lb Extra Pale Extract
2 oz Falconers Flight 60 min
1 oz Falconer's Flight 20 min
1/2 oz Falconer's Flight 15 min
Wyeast Greenbelt 5609

when you opened the bottle did everything gush out? it could be that its just over carbonated. how long did you chill a few hours or days. try chilling them for 3/5 days and then open one

Chiiled for several days. No gushers. Just extreme carbonation at pouring.

Sounds like it might be over carbonated and that perhaps you don't like hoppy Beer aka IPAs. ;)

what was your FG when you bottled?

that recipe would produce an IPA that focusses more on the bitterness than the hop flavor

dep how long it was before you bottled a lot of the hop flavor could be gone after bottle conditioning for 7-8 weeks

Sounds like it might be over carbonated and that perhaps you don't like hoppy Beer aka IPAs. ;)

You're pretty close. IPAs are not my favorite. As I said in my first post, my buddy who has been AG brewing for years is the one who thought it was possibly infected. I just hate to throw it out. I'll try venting one see what happens.

I love hoppy beers. If you're gonna throw them out, I'd gladly take a case or two off your hands.

Back