Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously. You're retarded.

Go back and try that again. This time leave the zero off the signing bonus.

Seriously... Let's look at the figures.

Previously, he was due $30 million in guarantees over the next two seasons. (This is probably where our village idiot got that figure)

Now, Brady picked up a $3 million signing bonus, extended his contract by 3 seasons (Hoppy, helping you with the math here, that's more than double the length of his former contract), and now he's due $57 million in guarantees over then next 5 seasons (again, helping with that math, that's less than double the guaranteed money).

So, again, taking less than double the money for more than twice the time? And now that we're seeing more of the details, in 2013 at least, it reduces his cap hit by about 8.2 million. (Dammit, if that doesn't help re-sign Welker, I don't know what will - does someone need to toss in a puppy?)

Brady? Pretty selfless.

Hoppy? Pretty retarded.

Trash talking aside for a sec, I am a little bit nervous about what's going on so far this offseason with the Pats not named Brady.

- Denard got convicted of punching a cop.
- Talib is apparently a lazy bum? (Might just be a negotiating tactic, who knows - but in two shots, maybe there goes our fledgling developing secondary)
- Gronk just had to have a surgical procedure on his infected broken arm.
- Pats are apparently not picking up the option on Lloyd. (Slow start, but I felt like he was finally getting productive down the stretch)
- Demps is apparently returning to track, rather than building up bulk and getting ready for his first actual season?
- What's next? Or did I miss something?

Come on guys, Brady's window is closing. Pull your heads out, get your acts together, and lets not dork around here...

- Talib is apparently a lazy bum? (Might just be a negotiating tactic, who knows - but in two shots, maybe there goes our fledgling developing secondary)

That should not be a surprise. He's also got numerous arrests on his record and a track record of being a terrible teammate while with the Bucs.

I heard it was 30 million lol. I blame whoever told me that through the radio. Brady is a ****** nevertheless ...

Just like when Crosby "selflessly" took less money in the NHL.

It's not exactly selfless... they already make so much money, especially when endorsement deals are factored in, that they could hardly care about a few more million. They're already on a stacked team and just want to win.

How is no one laughing at the Chiefs? Trading pick number 34 for Alex Smith? They could have drafted Barkley, Wilson, Bray, Manuel, etc. in the second round and been better off long term. Why make that trade unless you think you're 1 player away from winning.

I was surprised to see Alex Smith go for a second round pick. The Chiefs clearly overpaid for him, and as DFC pointed out there was value in the 2nd round this year for QBs. Alex Smith is not a Peyton Manning. He needs to be in the right system to succeed and isn't capable of carrying a team on his back. Honestly, who else was going to trade for him? Jacksonville obviously has a need but they're probably the only team worse at evaluating QBs than the Jets. Perhaps Arizona, but I think we'll see them try to get value in the 2nd round and hope that Kolb stays healthy.

Hoppy, Chshre, my apologies... I've been trying to figure out exactly where the mistake came from, and I'm asuming that Cape and I both read the same article over at PatsPulpit, that apparently got the signing bonus wrong by a factor of 10. Everywhere else I'm reading does indeed explain the signing bonus as $30 million, spread out over the next two years (spread out for cap space reasons). Still, that's awfully team friendly when you compare it to the contract that Drew Brees signed just last year, where his signing bonus was a one time hit of $37 million.

That is totally different than how it was reported.

It was reported that his signing bonus was only $3mm while $30mm of his existing contract and the extension became guaranteed. Two pretty different things.

I am seeing it now too though...

Now they are saying it was a $30mm signing bonus with the out years being guaranteed if he is on the roster for the last game of the 2014 season... Which, unless he dies, he will be.

Regardless... The argument of "selfless my azz" is still retarded because signing bonus or not, he still took a lot less money than he needed to while locking himself into the Pats for the rest of his career.

How is no one laughing at the Chiefs? Trading pick number 34 for Alex Smith? They could have drafted Barkley, Wilson, Bray, Manuel, etc. in the second round and been better off long term. Why make that trade unless you think you're 1 player away from winning.

Because for all Smith's faults he is a safe bet than the others you've listed. He's basically what they thought Cassel was. He won't blow you away on the field or do anything to win the game but he will rarely lose it for you. He did extremely well last year and with some consistent coaching on his side he looked like he might turn into a little bit of what they thought he'd be when they drafted him. If I remember correctly he was 7 passes short of one of the passer ratings in history which is just odd considering the tribulations that poor kid went through.

And no, they're not one player away from winning... But they were a QB away from being more than just a complete and total laughing stock. In this case Smith is a drastic improvement and for all of Reid's faults, he's done fairly decent with QBs (although the recent Vick nightmares kind of reduce his stock a bit). I don't think they'll make the playoffs or anything but they'll at least pick themselves up a little bit and probably win 3 or 4 games they wouldn't have otherwise won.

Barkley might have a shot but USC quarterbacks don't have a very good track record in the NFL. I don't think Geno will fall that far in the draft honestly as he can be moved to a different position and still have a pretty good career. The QBs this year are terrible. I don't really think a 34th pick is necessarily wasted as he's been around long enough they know what they'll get with him. Now Carson Palmer a few years ago... THAT was a complete ripoff for the insanity they traded for him. But the QBs coming out of the draft this year (SAVE ***MAYBE*** Barkley and very VERY longshot on Geno (who again will do well in other roles if it comes to that)) are garbage. Judging by his performance last year I'd even go so far as to say that kid that Washington stole later in the draft is probably better than the lot of them.

In Mark Sanchez's wildest dreams he's as talented as Tony Romo. Hell, he was outplayed in 2012 by Blaine Gabbert.

Sanchez in 2012
YDS CMP% TD INT RAT
2883 54.3 13 18 66.9

Blaine Gabbert in 2012 (Only 10 games)
YDS CMP% TD INT RAT
1662 58.3 9 6 77.4

Incorrect. Russell Wilson in 5 years is Tony Romo, if you're lucky.

Cmon man i know this is offseason and we've all taken some time off but dont bring that Hoppy level post in here theres only so many faceplam posters we can allow per thread

need some ice

nattyice.jpg

I was F&^*$@ right the first time....

According to Peter King this morning... :

" Keep in mind Brady was going to make $30 million in cash in the next two years, not guaranteed. Now he'll make $33 million, guaranteed. (In many quarters, it was reported Brady was handed a new $30 million signing bonus, but it wasn't new money -- just a guaranteeing of the money he was supposed to make in 2013 and '14, with a $3 million sweetener added.)"

so he didn't get a "$30mm signing bonus"... it was like I said the other day originally. They simply took the $30 he was scheduled to make and made it guaranteed.... and added the $3mm to that.

I'd take Flacco's future over Brady's all day...

Just a couple years ago, people were arguing for the Ravens to either cut or trade Flacco and start looking for a replacement. I hate Brady as much as anyone else, but if I had to pick one to win a game with right now, I would pick Brady. Flacco benefited from having a much better defense than the Pats this year. Honestly, Flacco is in the group of QBs with Philip Rivers, Ben Rothlesburger, and Eli Manning - good enough to win a championship with IF you surround them with enough talent but not great enough to carry the team on their own like a Peyton Manning or the Brady of 5 - 6 years ago could.

Latest posts

Back