IPA advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzski

Reaction score
11.5 lbs 2row
1.0 lb Munich
3/4 lb crystal 60

I have a ton of hops all kinds what should I make? I like citrus IPA but open to anything. Any suggestions help build a recipe?

you looking for an english ipa or american ipa? what hops do you have, if any? if american ipa, i'd ignore the munich and work that. the bill is not enough for an iipa

It's already put together. I have citra centenial, Columbus, Apollo, simcoe, cascade, summit

If you wanted to make a DIPA, you are pretty close. For the record, I am a big fan of Munich in my IPAs, I think it adds a more complex malt flavor without the sweetness of crystal malts.

You do seem a little short on grain. Assuming 75% efficiency you should be around 1.060 for a 5 gallon batch. I'd add a pound of table sugar. This will boost your gravity by ~8 points and it will dry out the beer, which is appropriate for a DIPA.

Those hops are definitely suitable for a big American DIPA. What yeast do you plan to use?

I would drop the crystal out of your grist completely. Use summit and Apollo for bittering and mid boil, then go crazy. In any case it will be hard not to make a tasty beer with the hops you've got.

Another lb of two row would be beneficial. That and a large yeast starter would get you to DIPA territory. If you can't do more grain then the sugar trick will work. Add it to the fermenter though since your og is lower. Melt 1 cup in a cup of water then let it cool. Add this on day 2 of fermentation. Do it again on day 3.

Bitter with summit at 60 then bomb it with citra and simcoe at 20 and 10. Columbus and cascade would prolly work as well.

Well I bought it as a recipe but I can't remember what the recipe is ( ops). Anyways it's already mixed together so I can add grain but not subtract. I'm not good at figuring hop schedule so I appreciate the advice and example. So an ounce of each or more

Ounce of summit or two?
summit is an alpha monster. more like .5 or .25 for a 1.050-1.060 grain bill.

for my IPA's i do lots of late addition hops. usually 20 or 15 minutes and then 5 minutes. try using brewtoad and add your late addition hops first. you should be able to sneak in two ounces in your late additions alone. use the summit as a bittering addition at 60 if you want more (much more) IBU's and save the rest for dry hop/flame out. Summit has an orange/tangerine quality which is why i don't mind using it for bittering. I'm not stuck with baggies of pellets in the fridge.

Back