California Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have been doing some experimenting with Wyeast’s California Lager yeast. I was attracted to the possibility of making a lager with out the “lagering” if you know what I mean. Anyway I have made several beers using this yeast ranging from a light lager to a steam beer. Here is what I found: This yeast makes a really good lager with a malty backbone. I plan to use it for my Oktoberfest beers this fall and my holiday beer. Because it produces very noticeable malty flavors it tasted darn funny in a light lager. I mean not bad just out of place. It didn’t have that “snap” that a good light lager should have.
Conclusion: California Lager can be successfully used for lagers when a malty flavor is desired; do not use it as substitute lager yeast for the lighter brews.
OBTW it makes really clear beer!

Thats funny, I have found that both wyeast and white labs cal lager yeast works very well for light lagers because it doesn't impart much in the way of off flavors. Maybe I just like maltier tasting beers, But I wouldn't consider the one I am drinking right now "malty". It DOES clear up nicely though! How long were your lighter lagers conditioned, and what temp did you ferment?

Thats funny, I have found that both wyeast and white labs cal lager yeast works very well for light lagers because it doesn't impart much in the way of off flavors. Maybe I just like maltier tasting beers, But I wouldn't consider the one I am drinking right now "malty". It DOES clear up nicely though! How long were your lighter lagers conditioned, and what temp did you ferment?

I conditioned for 4 weeks @ 34f, fermentation goal was 68f for 2 weeks, I probably wandered a bit there though. All in all I like the yeast strain.

I've made several batches of the same Oktoberfest recipe, minus the yeast, with both Cali Lager and a Kolsch yeast. I find the Kolsch yeast tastes a little maltier, but that's my own tastebud's opinion. The Cali Lager yeast tasted fine, though it did get marked down in the HBT competition for not being malty enough. The Cali lager Oktoberfest averaged a 24 while the Kolsch yeast averaged 32 - different competitions, though. I don't have lagering capabilities this time of year, but if I make a lager recipe I usually reach for the Kolsch yeast over the Cali Lager. Truth be told, I use Cali Lager more for ales. I've made several APAs with it and they have all come out quite nice. I'll also add that the Alt yeast is a good choice for lagers, too.

Truth be told, I use Cali Lager more for ales. I've made several APAs with it and they have all come out quite nice. I'll also add that the Alt yeast is a good choice for lagers, too.

I have never thought of using Cali for an ale; but I like that idea! Next brew recipe:rockin:

do you get much esters or fruity flavors using it the high 60s?

I haven't brewed with this yeast myself yet, but the homebrews I have had made with it at really warm temps (70+) it produces some mild peppery and spicy phenolics, but is not estery at all.

ive been using cream ale blend in my last few cream and blonde ales but will have to give this one a shot also

I brewed a California Common almost 4 weeks ago, trying to ferment the thing at 62 F with the 2112. I've had a stuck fermentation at 1.026 that I've been trying to unstick (unsuccessfully) for almost 3 weeks. I pitched a packet of dry yeast yesterday, but I'm not hopeful.

Anybody have any similar experiences with the 2112?

I am having a similar situation of stuck fermentation. I don't want to take too many gravity readings so as not to oxidize or damage the beer, so last check was day 7 at 1.042. I made a Baltic Porter OG 1.084, plenty of yeast and aeration, fermented at 65F and after 19 days it seems stuck. Too much hop matter and yeast solids still in suspension. It seems like it needs a kickstart. Ramped it up to 68F, but any airlock activity was most likely outgassing. I am going to rack to a secondary tomorrow and give it another week at ale temps before pitching extra yeast or lagering. Will report on the gravity tomorrow.

Has anyone found that this yeast needs a cold-secondary for a few extra gravity points? A 1.057 festbier I brewed in September seemed to come out just fine. Used that slurry in a 4L starter for this Baltic Porter.

If you find it too malty but like using it, you can always adjust your grain bill and mash profile to lessen the maltiness. Substitute some base malt for sugar or flaked rice and mash lower.

I've actually never used it. I did recently pick up the mangrove jack version and I'm looking forward to trying it....soooon.

Hi Weezy, how did you get on with the Mangrove Jack yeast?

I have two packets but have just made a Steam Beer and a lager so was wondering if this could be used for a Pale Ale or an IPA, anyone tried that?

No I haven't! Too many projects, not enough time. I was planning some sort of lager for when this cream ale kicks. Maybe now is the time. Light IPL with fruit hops maybe.i don't see why you couldn't use it in ale-style beers.

Back