my first Imperial....!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Reaction score
Well I just tapped my Imperial stout and wow! I brewed this stout for a friend that wanted a high APV stout. This stout sits right at 10%. I was surprised at what very little alcohol bite this beer has. And like in any store bought stout of high APV usually has a very hard sweetness. This stout does not. It is a sweet beer with a mild hop flavor. with a bitter finish. I really like it and I think some other members and fellow stout fans might enjoy it too. So I'd like to share the recipe.

Courage Imperial Stout-

yield: 5 gallons

Starting gravity: 1.104

Final Gravity: 1.024

APV: 10.3

Color SRM: 11.0

Hop IBU's: 66.0

10lbs dark dry malt extract

1lbs cane sugar

1/3lbs Molasses

12oz crystal malt

10oz chocolate malt

3oz roasted barley

3oz black patent

2.5 Target hops (bittering)

1oz Target hops (flavor)

1/2oz Target hops (aroma)

1 package brewers yeast. ( I believe I used Nottingham's)

2 gallon wart. bring water and grains to 155 degrees and steep for 30 minutes. Remove grains and bring to boil. Remove from heat and add all malt extracts, cane sugar, and molasses.
Bring back to a boil and bittering hops. boil for 45 min. Add flavor hops.boil for 10 more minutes.Add aroma hops and boil 5 more minutes. Cool wart to 70 degrees and pitch!

Ferment in in the 65-75 range. ferment 1 week and rack to the secondary for 10-14 days for clearing. no longer than 15 days.

KEGGERS- keg as normal. I forced carbonated and conditioned for for 10 days.

BOTTLERS-Prime with whatever method you like. store bottles in 70-75 range and condition for at least 10 days.

ENJOY!

Notes: Conditioning time vary with palette tastes. I know you could easily condition this beer for a month with the APV and have it not go bad. I've actually bottled a few to sample over the next month to test the aging qualities on this particular stout. Feel free to experiment with your conditioning times. :)

click for larger image.

Looks goood!

Although one item of note; an Imperial stout is going to take much longer than 1 month to condition... Heck, I condition 1.045 beers for a month with no ill (only great!) effects.

A 1.100 beer could easily take 6 months or even take a year to age correctly...

yup I plan to save a few growlers for a few and do some testing. Hard part is just being able to save them!

Back