possible screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nckgibbons

Reaction score
While I was doing my mini mash, I noticed my mashing temp got higher than I wanted. nearly 170. I know thats a big no no while brewing. My OG ended up higher than expected. Would these two mistakes be related? And if so, would my FG end up being higher is there anything I can do to fix it? I pitched my yeast and it seems to be fermenting ok but I'm still not too sure.

Any info would be appreciated
Thank you

It depends on how long it was 170 for. At those temps Tannins ca be released that can lead to off flavors. If it just touched that temp, and was then brought quickly down to the appropriate temp then i doubt there will be any noticeable changes in taste. I also don't believe that your gravity reading, and your high mash temp are related in any way.

Your OG could have been higher than expected if you didn't mix the top off water well enough. I also had this problem, that is getting skewed OG readings due to perhaps taking a sample off the top of the beer that might not be mixed thoroughly. Did you put the right amount of top off water in? Did you mix it and aerate the beer vigorously for a few minutes prior to pitching? I usually just use the OG that the kit suggests when calculating for FG and my beers have all been fine. The yeast mix the top off water more completely as they do their job during fermentation. No worries your beer will likely be fine, and there is nothing you can do at this time any way. Just be patient, wait two full weeks from when fermentation begins before you take your FG reading.

Back