B.B. Robust Porter With Smoked Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmoogdaddy

Reaction score
I was thinking I would like to brew a Brewer's Best Robust Porter and add 1 1/2 lbs. of smoked malt to it along with 1/2 cup of black strap molasses and 3/4 cup of brown sugar. I will double up on the Nottingham yeast.

I've made the Smoked Porter kit before and found myself wanting more smoke. That's why I figured on 1 1/2 lbs. of smoked added to the robust porter instead of the 1 lb. that comes with the smoked porter.

Does anyone think this recipe will work?

The smoke is fine, but I also like smoked porters. Me, I would not use black strap with a smoked beer.

I have brewed a couple of smoked porters in the past few months. I based it loosely on Jamil's recipe in Brewing Classic Styles. I used 3 pounds of smoked malt and found that to be enough to give a good smoke flavor.

I went with a compromise of 2 lbs. of smoked. I also added an extra ounce of Fuggles. It turned out to be awesome. It's as smokey as a rauchbier, but there is also a really good porter going on at the same time.

I'm having one (or more) with pork barbeque today. Life is good.

I had the last one of these after aging for about a half year. I think it might have been the best beer I ever had. I have to find a way to let them age next time and not drink them all right away, but it's just so hard.;)

Back