Keeping Thermometers in while you brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murppie

Reaction score
Hey all. I was wondering about keeping thermometers in while you brew. I was given a $10 from Northern Brewer (I returned it because of super poor reviews on the website) but on the packaging it specified not to keep it in aside from to take a reading. I was wondering with some pots like this one http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/brew-kettles/megapot-with-ball-valve-brewmometer.html where there is an included thermometer if it is bad for it? I currently just use a floating thermometer so its not an issue yet, but I was wondering for the future.

The only place you would do this and see it is in the brewkettle. If the water is boiling it is about 212deg. If it is not boiling it is under 212 deg. If there are a lot of small bubbles and turbulence the water is approaching 212 deg. Why keep a thermometer floating in it? It seems like just one more thing to go wrong. There are enough things to go wrong without adding extra. I have a long probe thermometer I use by hand and a laser thermometer for quick checks. I own a floating thermometer that I have never used because I can't bring myself to float a glass bulb in my wort.

I wouldn't leave a floating thermometer in a brew pot in case it breaks. However, I have one that clips to the side of the brew kettle (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/dial-thermometer.html). I leave this in from when I start heating up my water until I dump the wort into the primary.

On another note... water boils at different temperatures based on elevation above sea level. 212 degrees F is for sea level. For San Antonio, elevation of 772 feet above sea level, water boils at 210.5.

That is why I said if it is boiling it is "about 212 deg." I am perfectly aware of the effect of elevation. If it is not boiling you can be sure it is under 212 and if there are lots of bubbles and turbulence it is approaching 212. My points were accurate.

Back