Diacetyl linked to Alzheimers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate science reporting. Its all about the headline and not about the facts, of which there are zero in this case. I bet you could "link" dog ownership, affinity to the color yellow, and breathing to Alzheimers if you tried hard enough.

Writen by:

Ryan Jaslow is CBSNews.com's health editor.

Wonder where he got his degree??

Also this study was done on industrial workers who breathed the chemical for years, not so much relatable on a daily basis.

I had a good response to this... but I can't remember what it was...

But seriously... studies like this always run in to the problem of correlation vs. causation. Just because two things are correlated, doesn't mean one caused the other. This part is particularly telling:

"The study however did not show a cause and effect relationship between the chemical and Alzheimer's, and the results haven't been replicated in people, only in test tubes."

So these guys at UM looked at this, found some mechanism whereby DA exposure gets to the brain, and took the leap that because DA has some structural similarities to B-amyloid, that there could be a risk.

Okay.

Also note that these were in vitro studies. They were done in a TEST TUBE. Not even in a living animal model. LOTS and LOTS of in vitro work never translates to in vivo systems.

And that's my critique without even going to the details of the study... I'm sure there's more to poke holes at.

The study however did not show a cause and effect relationship between the chemical and Alzheimer's, and the results haven't been replicated in people, only in test tubes.

So as long as you don't drink your beer out of test tubes, you're safe -- right?

I'll just leave these here...

tumblr_lnitridjxx1qcn4i6o1_500.png

piratesarecool4.gif

Usually when someone hands me this kind of stuff (or gave me guff when I was still smoking), I tell them to go home, pour a glass of Coke, and drop a piece of beef (ground or otherwise) into it. Check back in a few hours and see if you can find the beef.

I'll just leave these here...

tumblr_lnitridjxx1qcn4i6o1_500.png

piratesarecool4.gif

That XKCD comic is one of my all time favorites. I have it clipped and taped to my computer screen at work.

This is one of the better correlation vs. causation graphs I've ever seen. I knew IE was evil, but come on... :D

That XKCD comic is one of my all time favorites. I have it clipped and taped to my computer screen at work.

This is one of the better correlation vs. causation graphs I've ever seen. I knew IE was evil, but come on... :D

That's hilarious...I've never seen the IE/murder rate chart before. That one might be more than just a correlation. I could very well imagine some frustrated Internet Exploder users developing homicidal tendencies. :cross:

trimpy said:
I hate science reporting. Its all about the headline and not about the facts, of which there are zero in this case. I bet you could "link" dog ownership, affinity to the color yellow, and breathing to Alzheimers if you tried hard enough.

Fact: you must breathe in order to get Alzheimer's.

So now we can't eat what this says?

"diacetyl (DA), an ingredient used to produce the buttery flavor and smell in microwave popcorn, margarine, candy, baked goods, and even pet food. It is also created naturally in fermented drinks like beer, and gives some chardonnay wines"

I'm sure the fermented breads are troubled too.

Okay. So that leaves.... Humus as the only thing left to eat?

rmb said:

"diacetyl (DA), an ingredient used to produce the buttery flavor and smell in microwave popcorn, margarine, candy, baked goods, and even pet food. It is also created naturally in fermented drinks like beer, and gives some chardonnay wines"

I mean... I can mess up a mean bowl of hummus with pita chips. Make my own if anyone wants the recipe! Unfortunately, eating has been clinically proven to lead to pooping

Hummus causes ass cancer.

If something's going to kill us, it might as well be beer.

Back