Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBrownAP

Reaction score
Im new to this forum and home brewing

I started a flavored lager. I am trying to get both the lager taste and the fruit taste to show up in the beer pretty evenly. I was wondering if fermenting first at a lager temp between 50-55 degrees for a few days, and then swtiching to a warmer fruit fermenting temp of 65-70 degrees would help distinguish the two flavors or if it would just make my fermentation time longer by first starting at the 50-55 degree range?

P.S. like i said ive just started home brewing and posting on this site, but ive been reading your guys/gals tips and other secrets, and its without a doubt helped get me started to being a seasoned home brewer....thanks for the push start

MTBrownAP said:
Im new to this forum and home brewing

I started a flavored lager. I am trying to get both the lager taste and the fruit taste to show up in the beer pretty evenly. I was wondering if fermenting first at a lager temp between 50-55 degrees for a few days, and then swtiching to a warmer fruit fermenting temp of 65-70 degrees would help distinguish the two flavors or if it would just make my fermentation time longer by first starting at the 50-55 degree range?

P.S. like i said ive just started home brewing and posting on this site, but ive been reading your guys/gals tips and other secrets, and its without a doubt helped get me started to being a seasoned home brewer....thanks for the push start

Sounds like you would definately like a kolsch beer. Kolsch is an ale that taste almost like a lager at ale temps. When you ferment a lager at ale temps you might get a little more than fruity esters in your beer. Might get some off flavors that might not appeal to you. I think a kolsch ale would be better suited for what your trying to do.

Fermentation temps don't vary by the ingredients you want to ferment, they vary by the yeast type you're using.

If you're using a 'real' lager yeast, it will ferment any fruit sugar you throw at it while at 50 degrees. No need to warm it up.

I agree with Mikey - determine the temperature of your fermentation based on the requirements of the yeast. Assuming all else is well, including the amount of fruit (or flavor, etc), your end product will include the taste of the fruit. There are too many negatives in fermenting above the recommended range for the yeast, so avoid that.

Back