Northern Brewer Bourbon Barrel Porter (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebiewer

Reaction score
I finally was able to drink my brewed up batch of Norther Brewer's Bourbon Barrel Porter I made a couple of months back. It has been about 12 weeks since brewing and I have to say I really enjoyed this kit. I didn't think it was overly complicated to make and ended up being one of the best brews I've made so far.

It was a little more expensive being around $50 to make with the bourbon addition, but I believe the bottles are still a little over a $ to make, which isn't bad. Its more for the love and passion than it is the cost savings anyway.

If your curious I did a full review on it over on my blog. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Review of Northern Brewer Bourbon Barrel Porter

I added the 16 oz the recipe directed.

However, like I mentioned in my review, when I do this again, I am going to do more oak and more booze.

I'm thinking of using chips in the primary and cubes in the secondary and doubling the booze to a full .75 bottle.

I prefer a lil woody and alcohol in my brews like this.

How did yours turn out?

Honestly?
If I didn't tell someone it was a Bourbon Barrel they would have thought it was just a normal porter.

Yeah the 16 just didn't cut it. I mean 1/2 a shot per glass is a tad light on a dark beer like this.

I'm thinking next time to drop a 750mL in there and let it age on those cubes for maybe a month.

One thing I thought about doing as well would be to use more oak.

I was thinking some chips in the primary, then cubes in the secondary.

What do you think?

Really?

I thought the chips would bring in more vanilla. I suppose you might be right though since they are shaved and will probably have more roasted flavor and wood than the deep nuggets of vanilla in the middle of the cubes.

Back