I gota problem!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
So 20 day's ago I made my biggest beer yet, a Bel Dark Strong Ale with a OG of 1.094. I pitched a WLP530 starter and off to the races. I think the yeast got stage fright (too cold) and quit their day job. I now sit here 20 days after with a beer at 1.058. Now for my solution,but chime in if you feel like I get off track a bit. I have another tube of WLP500 in my fridge ,but no starter made, should I make a starter and re pitch? Or just dump the vial in and try to get the temp up? Those of you that this has happened to please help!
Cheers, Gabe

If you just pitch it, it will likely just sink to the bottom of the fermenter and do next to nothing.

Sometimes, pitching fresh yeast built up from a good sized starter at peak krausen is supposed to jump-start a fermentation again.

Your first course of action should be to get that fermenter back up to fermentation temperature, and rouse some of the dormant yeast. That might help. Otherwise, you could get desparate and pitch another yeast starter.

At the lowest....65. Which I know is too cold. I just don't have a room in the house that stays a consistent 75.

Do yourself a favor. Go down to the CVS and buy a $15 heating pad---yeah, the kind you use for a sore back. Slap it on the side of your fermenter and tie it into place with string. Bam, you've got instant localized heat. Do you have a fermometer (stick-on thermometer) on your fermenter? That would be a good idea because it's easy to overheat it with a heating pad.

I actually have one of those and didn't think to use it....Thanks Evan for the suggestion.

Gabe said:
At the lowest....65. Which I know is too cold. I just don't have a room in the house that stays a consistent 75.

65 at the lowest? It doesnt seem to be a problem of temp to me. White Labs says it will ferment between 66 and 72. If it is 65 at the lowest, I would say you are at prime temperature. And FWIW, my basement is 66 degrees all through the summer and I ferment all of my beers at that temp. Warming it up will help, but I think there may be other problems.

I have never had a problem fermenting any of my beers, but then again I always ferment my Belgian beers during the warmer months so I do belive it is a temp thing. I will build another starter and add the heating pad and then pitch.

Gabe said:
I have never had a problem fermenting any of my beers, but then again I always ferment my Belgian beers during the warmer months so I do belive it is a temp thing. I will build another starter and add the heating pad and then pitch.

Before you toss another $6-$7 into the fermenter, why not stir it up to rouse the yeast and warm it? They might spring back into action, you never know...

Latest posts

Back