Sterilising with sodium percarbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
Just bought a pot of sodium percarbonate, (bruclens steriliser for beer & wine), but instructions are a bit weird. Says on it 4 teaspoons per 5 litres but... surely I dont need to completely fill my container though right? Which is what it looks like it is saying. So for a 19lt container, how much should I use? would 1 teaspoon in a litre of water then shake it around ok? Also as I know i have to rinse it well, is tap water ok for this?

To be completely honest Im a bit disappointed, I got it online and it said its specifically for beer and wine but am sure there are better suited chemicals for this job.

Yeah, you can adjust the amount of sanitizer to the amount of water youre using.

IMO no rinse sanitizers are the best and star san cant be beat.

I still have a jar of Cooper's Sodium Percarbonate sanitizer I used only once when my Cooper's Micro Brew kit was new. In solution,it smells a heck of a lot like bleach to me. You can adjust the amount to total water volume. It must be rinsed a couple times with hot water till you can't smell it anymore. not as good as the starsan I use now,which is a wet contact no-rinse sanitizer. That was over two years ago when I replaced it with an 8oz bottle of starsan. Still have 3/4's of that bottle. A little goes a long way,as it'll keep in a capped jug for a couple months of use. I mix starsan 3/4's of the way up to the 1/4oz mark on the little measure built into the top of the starsan bottle with 1 gallon of water. I keep it in a 1 gallon SunnyD jug,as they're thicker & tougher than milk jugs. I've been getting about a year out of the SunnyD jugs before they start to leak. Maybe more.

anyone know where to get small amounts of starsan in the UK? Never heard of it to be honest, the only sanitiser where I bought my kits was the percabonate :/

Starsan is made in Colorado and may not be available in UK. Shipping would be about $30 in addition to regular cost. I love starsan but iodine is almost as good and I'm sure you can get that in UK.

Latest posts

Back