Temperature Controller CD101 Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan_rouse

Reaction score
I just hooked up my Dinico BBP-CD-101 PID, using an RTD sensor. On appearances, everything looks in order. The device display works properly, and it's "controlling" my electric element. However, it overshoots the temp. It basically never shuts the signal off to the relay. I'm not overly technical, and the "instructions" that came with the PID are pretty much worthless to me.

Anyone out there used one of these or any other PID that might be similar? I figured that the "SV" is my temp setting, and the "PV" is the actual temp. When I tried it, I set the SV for 66 degrees C (152F), and the PV was showing as 17 degrees C. It went up to 19, but never beyond. However, my test water went up to 66 degrees C, and then just kept going.

I double and triple checked the wiring, and everything looks good. The only possible variable is that the RTD sensor has two wires with blue connectors to attach to the PID, and another wire with a red connector. The instructions show two "-" wires and one "+" wire should come from the RTD sensor and go to the PID. So the variable is that it doesn't say which "-" wire is which, and they are identical. Attached is the "instructions" that came with the PID. I used the wiring diagram with the RTD sensor, not the thermocouple.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

d

View attachment PID Instructions.pdf

The two blue "-" wires are electrically identical and interchangeable so as long as you have them connected to the two "-" terminals on the PID then you are fine.

The SV should correspond to setpoint variable and the PV should correspond to the process variable which is the measured temp of the RTD. Since the measured temp never got above 19 the PID rightfully never turned off the heater. Does your PID allow for different types of temp sensors, RTD, thermocouple, thermistors? If so then check to make sure it is setup to read a 3-wire RTD and not one of the others. There should be a menu setting to select which type of sensor you are using.

The two blue "-" wires are electrically identical and interchangeable so as long as you have them connected to the two "-" terminals on the PID then you are fine.

The SV should correspond to setpoint variable and the PV should correspond to the process variable which is the measured temp of the RTD. Since the measured temp never got above 19 the PID rightfully never turned off the heater. Does your PID allow for different types of temp sensors, RTD, thermocouple, thermistors? If so then check to make sure it is setup to read a 3-wire RTD and not one of the others. There should be a menu setting to select which type of sensor you are using.

That's actually quite helpful. An incorrect setting for the type of sensor makes perfect sense. Now I just need to figure out how to change the setting.

Thanks.

Crane

Update - there were two hidden menus for changing a couple of settings to switch the input sensor and temp thresholds. The instructions didn't mention either, but the PID distributor walked me through it and now it's working perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

dan_rouse said:
Crane

Update - there were two hidden menus for changing a couple of settings to switch the input sensor and temp thresholds. The instructions didn't mention either, but the PID distributor walked me through it and now it's working perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

Awesome. Now you just have to make some beer with it.

Back