carbonation tablets for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The boards are littered with people that have had both good, and bad, experiences with those tabs. IMO, priming is NOT an area where you want to cut corners. It's easy enough to boil up a little water, mix in the sugar, add to the bottling bucket and rack the beer on top of it. Then bottle away. Also, use one of the carbonation calculation sites to figure out how much sugar to prime with (by all that is holy, weigh the priming sugar). This site it one example of a good calculation tool.

Anyone use something like tho - http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/munton-s-carb-tabs.html ?? I wonder if it is just as good as boiling the water and desolving the sugar to pour into a bottling bucket. Any thoughts on these?

I have never used that exact brand but I have used these with success:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E5ZYB8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

These various per-bottle drops are more expensive than using sugar and boiled water for the whole batch, but they are more convenient in at least one situation that I have run into twice which is when you want to keg half of the batch while bottling the other half. Yes, in theory you could use priming sugar in the keg or bottle out of the keg, but both of those are less convenient than what I ended up doing: bottle half of the batch out of the fermenter using these drops, keg the rest with forced carbonation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you might find the extra "steps" of adding a tablet to say 50 bottles while filling might take away from the bottling experience for you. pretty much the best bottling experiences are the ones where you're doing the most with the fewest steps. Having the priming sugar already mixed in allows you to fill and cap and be done.

I use them often because I brew 12 gal batches. 2 kegs and bottle the rest. I don't take the time to actually measure out how much is getting bottled, so they are convenient for that. If I'm doing a whole batch it's measured and mixed in the bottling bucket

I use the Cooper's Carb Drops for everything that I bottle, over the last 3 years probably 50 gallons. It really doesn't take that much time to add them during the bottling process. I put a bowl of the carb drops right next to the bowl of my caps. Fill a bunch of bottles, drop a carb drop in each one, proceed to cap.

I used them once. When I forgot to add priming sugar before bottling/capping. I realized it and had to uncap, drop a drop in and recap. It sucked. I don't forget now :)

I might have get some,I bottled last night and after filling one bottle I realized I forgot my priming sugar, No biggie,,but it would have been if I bottled rhe entire batch with no sugar

Back