keggle staining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
the inside of my keggle seems to be staining. After each brew i use the water from wort chiller and fill my keggle to the top and let it soak overnight with 3 scoops of oxyclean. The next day i scrub it and it is still staining on the inside. I believe I am cleaning it enough and I have not noticed any effect on the taste of my beer. Has anyone else experienced this with keggle's?? Thanks

Have you tried Bar Keepers Friend on it? I use it with a Scotch scrub pad. Took care of all of my keggle stains.

what kind of stains? if its beer stone in the bottom you can put some white vinegar in there for 10 minutes and it will come right off.

+1 for a scrubby pad. Non-metal of course... I use this especially for that little four inch circle of sugarburn that I get in the center of my keggle no matter how much I stir. No permanent stains yet. :mug:

I have bar keepers friend and i think i used it before with no luck on this. maybe I am not using enough? And it is all over the keggle. Almost kind of greenish like it is from the hops in the boil...not sure how else to describe it.

It's kind of a catch 22. If you use abrasive scrubbing to remove it, you put deeper scratches into the stainless which provides a better foothold for the beer stone in the future. I think I might experiment a bit by putting a high polish on a smaller 3" circle on the bottom of the kettle just to see if it cleans up easier. I've had luck with an overnight soak in double strength starsan.

Latest posts

Back