Brew rig connectors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're expecting to get definitive answers about a subjective subject on a forum?

Undoubtedly someone will shout tri-clover only to be countered by the simplicity of a hose barb.

Why not just get which ever one you like the looks of best?

Anytime someone asks or declares something "the best" I assume it's probably trolling. I use camlocks and they work great for me. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them including tri-clamps. There are different costs involved so go with whatever your budget allows.

Ok bad wording, was just looking for good connectors that will hold up, not leak, easy to use, stuff like that. Don't mind spending money on good stuff and was wondering what people recommend and perhaps a good place to buy.

If you don't mind dropping some cash, Tri-Clover is the way to go. If you want something that is reliable and a little bit more cost effective, get camlocks. It's pretty much that simple.

Tri clamps I didn't want to go with because I want to stay weldless. So cam locks over quick disconnects?

You can use TriClover (TC) with a weldless bulkhead http://www.brewershardware.com. Weldless/welded refers to how you penetrate a vessel. Figure about $25 per TC connection vs about $20 for QD and $10 for CamLocks. It's nearly impossible to connect a Triclover with one hand. I think Camlocks are inexpensive, work well and look cool.

I'd like to follow-up on this question of brew rig conectors.

I'm an old-time AG brewer from the early 80's (grad school) who has not had the time to brew for 25 years. Going to be having more time going forward and plan to get back into brewing. Been doing a lot of research over the past week and there is an enormous amount of new technology available since I last brewed in 1987...

I'm planning on putting together some kind of an electric recirculating mash system and choosing connector types is the area I am focused on now.

So first, I see many use hose barbs and I would like to understand if there is any downside to using hose barbs if all connections will be made and unmade while the system is cool and empty (set-up -> brew -> clean -> break-down).

The only part of my system that I may need to take down while hot/full may be the March Pump (in the case that I decide to go single-pump, in which case I need to move the pump from recirculating mash to recirculating wort for cooling).

For the price of fancy SS connectors, I could practically afford a second pump (which would also provide a backup), but I would like to understand pros and cons of different connector types to disconnect/connect a pump:

BARB: seems like these would be an enormous PITA to disconnect but once the hoses are empty, is this practical? Any other downside?

CAMLOCKS: seem not be be suitable for 'one-handed' disconnect, but I am not sure how important that is in my case - any other pros or cons?

QUICK DISCONNECT: seem to be priced about like camlocks but support one-handed connect/disconnect - are there any downsides to these versus camlocks? Are they less reliable and any more prone to leaking?

TRICLOVER: seems that these are the 'Cadillac' of hose connectors. Are they the most reliable in terms of sealing well and preventing any leaks? Any other advantages such as ease and effectiveness of cleaning?

One more specific question: I may plan my system to handle pressure of up to 8 psi or so (max psi for March 815PL) - under this kind of pressure, am I correct that Triclover would be best (and barb would be worst)? Any opinions on whether Camlock or QD would be second best and how effectively they would be able to handle this kind of pressure?

Appreciate any help on this - as I continue planning my system I am sure I will have more questions, but for now I am just trying to decide on hose connectors (so that I can plan my MLT, HLT and BK fittings accordingly...).

-fafrd

Thanks - I've never used Cam locks before - would you have any concern about their ability to hold pressure? Do you think Cam locks are about as good as Triclover in that regard? Do you have experience with any other connector type?

Are there any negatives to the use of Camlocks in your experience that you would change if possible?

thanks again,

-fafrd

I've never seen a camlock setup leak at the gasket ever and I've blown the hose off the barb side when someone stepped on a long hose on the pump output side (1/8 HP LG pump). The downside to the slip/ball lock QD system is that they are slightly more constrictive than the camlock equivalents. If avoid the camlock "C", they are all more than 1/2" full ID. TC is nice if you absolutely need sanitary, but that's out the window if you use any threaded fittings. The downside is cost and the fact that you have to hold the gasket in place, couple, then wrangle the clamp in place.

If you really want to know what you'll like better, grab some mated pairs of each and play around with them. Two QDs in the hand are worth ten in the minds of HBTers.

This is helpful, all. Definitely making me lean towards camlock. Will probably pick up a few and play around with them...

Thanks again for the advice.

-fafrd

I frikkin' love my cam locks - best purchase ever. I brewed using hose barbs for 10 years - glad to be done with it. A nice additional feature is that the cams typically come with cotter pins to lock them on (extra safety).

The plastic kent QD's aren't bad for the money but they're not nearly as effective. The stainless QD's that I've seen are more expensive and lack the safety features and "grip" of the cams.

The only reason I'd say to go TC is if you need a truly sanitary fitting - which means all of your downstream fittings also need to be TC.

Camlocks will hold WAY more pressure than you will ever be able to put through them. I use them all the time at my job pumping liquids and gasses at 100PSI+ and we've never had anything even close to an issue. I love the camlocks on my brew system and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

They also make AL cam locks for about half the price of SS connections.

I love my SS Cam locks. That being said if your using Cam locks I would steer away from using aluminum. It isn't worth the dollars saved with the cleaning chemicals we use. IMOP.

I like my TC connectors.
Not a sanitary setup. But not trying to make it sanitary.
What I really wanted was welded fittings on the pots.
No threads, no teflon tape needed.

There are a few vendors that have pots with TC welded fittings.
I did not see any that had cam lock welded fittings.

TC does take two hands to make a connection (at least for me).
I don't find this to be an issue.
On my system I am not doing much reconnecting during brew day.
But I can see that cam locks would make this easier.

The other nice thing about TC is the availability of various fittings.
I got some 90 degree connectors to prevent kinking of the hose
between the BK and march pump.
And I may get an instrument tee for a temp probe.

Which brings up a downside to TC. It can get pricy.
Maybe not much of a difference between TC and cam locks
if you just go with the minimum. But with TC it is easy to
spend cash making minor upgrades that might not be providing
as much a return on investment.

On balance I like my TC fittings and would do it again.
They sure look nice.

Latest posts

Back