Homemade Pepperoncini

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessWinter77

Reaction score
I picked up a large bag of brightly colored small sweet peppers at Costco the other day and while they were pretty good substituted in-place of regular bell peppers it occurred to me that they would probably make very tasty and aesthetically pleasing pickled peppers like banana peppers or pepperoncini in italy.

I googled some info on pickling but I was wondering if anyone had any tried and true recipes/methods of their own?

On a side note: I just learned that pickling is actually a form of anaerobic fermentation. So maybe HBT needs to add a pickling forum to round out their coverage of delicious fermented products :)

I love pepperoncini. When they come with a greek salad I like to take a very small bite of the pepper and drizzle the pickle juice from inside the pepper all over the salad, then finish the pepperoncini.

OK well I went ahead and started making these so I figured Id throw up some pics of the process:
DSC_3028.jpg

The bag I picked up from Costco

DSC_3040.jpg

Brine ingredients: 2 cups water, 2 TB Vinegar (I used white distilled), 1 TB Salt. I tripled the recipe to fit the container. I also added a little sugar to speed up the fermentation and some juice from the top of a yogurt container to ensure the presence of lactobacilli (although your not supposed to have to add any)

DSC_3042.jpg

Cut a slit in the top of each pepper

DSC_3043.jpg

Pumped each pepper full of brine (and the oxygen out)

DSC_3049.jpg

Jar is full and ready for fermentation! Just so happened that a 2L mason jar I got from the Lagunitas Brewery was the perfect size (they use them as growlers there)
I also added some chopped garlic and red pepper flakes for flavour after this pic was taken.

They will ferment for about two weeks then be ready for eating! The lid is slightly loose to let pressure out. Its been a little under a week so far and the fermentation is going strong! Lots of pressure releasing and the brine is turning cloudy as it is supposed to.

For more info on this, here is the website and recipe I used:http://www.paleotechnics.com/Articles/Pepperoncini.html

Back