Cider with strange effects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enotecahenry

Reaction score
So I brew beer, but have made cider in the past. I made a new batch using cans of concentrate (16), well water and a table sugar. After ferm, I cold stabilized two weeks later, I carbonated it. Upon drinking a glass, I noticed that I caused a strange forgetfulness buzz. Like no other. Ideas?

Drink it!!!.. and name it "Johnny Jump Up", it's an Irish folk song about a highly inebriating cider.

On a serious note, what where the gravity readings? With 16 cans of concentrate plus sugar, I think there may just be lots of alcohol in your cider.

With 16 cans of juice concentrate I would guess you would get a gravity of about 1.160 for a 5 gallon batch. Depending on how dry that fermented, you could be close to 20% abv. Lots of alcohol tends to make ones memory fuzzy. :)

My refractometer said 10% before ferm. Does not taste or smell of alcohol. Still, really weird stuff. Do the Chinese put anything weird in there apple juice concentrate? Melamine?

I made a batch of cider using whole foods organic apple juice, sugar and champagne yeast with an OG of 1.067, fermented out in 9 days to .996, racked to secondary and filled one bottle up when racking. Cold crashed the bottle for a week then drank it really young, gave me a nice buzz that was different than what I'm used to. First time I've ever had a homebrew, can't wait till the batch is ready to drink!!

Hmm, hops do contain a compound that has a mild sedative effect. If you aren't used to drinking something other then beer you might be confusing the difference in a straight alcohol effect for something else.

How do the effects compare to a white wine?

Back